Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics card OC-ing help.

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 15, 2013 1:57:11 PM

Hey guys, just got my new graphics card, 7870 joker edition, and it's working pretty well but I have a question about OCing.

When I use CCC and enable AMD Overdrive up to around 1200-1230 MHz and play something the gpu clock actually stays at 925, but if I go higher than about 1250 MHz the card becomes unstable and crashes games. So my question is: is this a problem with CCCs' clock or is my card just not OCing?

More about : graphics card ing

a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 2:47:01 PM

More likely, then not, you have just exceeded the limits for your GPU in your rig. Just try backing down the speed a bit and you'll be fine.
February 15, 2013 2:50:12 PM

COLGeek said:
More likely, then not, you have just exceeded the limits for your GPU in your rig. Just try backing down the speed a bit and you'll be fine.


I should have been clearer, when it's at 1230 and running fine while ccc says it's at 925, is it actually running at 1230 or 925?
Related resources
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 2:57:29 PM

The GPU clock will lower itself to conserve power and reduce heat when it doesn't need to run at 100%. You may be seeing some of that behavior.

What does GPU-Z (link below), report the settings as?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
a b U Graphics card
a c 280 K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 3:02:24 PM

The problem is CCC, uninstall the software and use MSI Afterburner...rise up the frequency in little steps and test the stability. For that frequency you also will need rise up the voltage of your GPU
February 15, 2013 3:24:52 PM

COLGeek said:
The GPU clock will lower itself to conserve power and reduce heat when it doesn't need to run at 100%. You may be seeing some of that behavior.

What does GPU-Z (link below), report the settings as?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/


Running FC3 at top settings, GPU-Z tells me it's running at default values, not even boosted.
February 15, 2013 5:04:41 PM

Looks like I found the problem.
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 5:08:40 PM

What did you find?
February 15, 2013 5:12:01 PM

COLGeek said:
What did you find?


I'm using a b75m motherboard, it says that I can't OC on it at all, would this include the GPU? I didn't think it did but maybe I'm the dumbass for not realising that before buying it...
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 5:17:05 PM

No, OCing the GPU is separate from OCing the CPU via the motherboard/chipset. You can still OC the GPU.
February 15, 2013 5:19:50 PM

COLGeek said:
No, OCing the GPU is separate from OCing the CPU via the motherboard/chipset. You can still OC the GPU.


Right, ok, I go back on what I said. I still need help.

My GPU is saying it's running on default on all monitors from GPUZ to...some others, anyway, what is the next step I should take?
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 5:28:39 PM

Go into CCC/Performance/AMD Overdrive. Make sure Enable Graphics Overdrive is checked (enabled). Then, using the sliders, increase from the stock speeds in small increments (5-10Mhz) and test for stability. Keep doing this until unstable and then back off one increase.

That is OCing 101.
February 15, 2013 6:28:11 PM

COLGeek said:
Go into CCC/Performance/AMD Overdrive. Make sure Enable Graphics Overdrive is checked (enabled). Then, using the sliders, increase from the stock speeds in small increments (5-10Mhz) and test for stability. Keep doing this until unstable and then back off one increase.

That is OCing 101.


*Head desk*

Yes, whenever I do that the GPU readers show NO sign of change.

In fact it's not even activating boost, it's on base 925 when boost is 975...
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 6:29:36 PM

Move sliders....apply. Restart. Check again.
February 15, 2013 6:32:32 PM

COLGeek said:
Move sliders....apply. Restart. Check again.


It's not even registering a change when I move the slider, it's not even activating its own boost.
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 8:43:35 PM

I would try this. I would un-install both the drivers and AOD (if you installed separately). Restart.

Then re-install that latest drivers (get directly from amd.com). I think 13.1 is the most recent.

Try again.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 9:25:44 PM

I'm using 13.2 and it works like a charm
February 15, 2013 10:10:54 PM

patrick47018 said:
I'm using 13.2 and it works like a charm

Alright, it seems I've fixed the problem.
February 16, 2013 6:06:37 PM

Are the 13.2 drivers better for overclocking than previous ones?
a c 209 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 8:54:11 PM

Generally, newer drivers are better.
!