Graphics card OC-ing help.

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hey guys, just got my new graphics card, 7870 joker edition, and it's working pretty well but I have a question about OCing.

When I use CCC and enable AMD Overdrive up to around 1200-1230 MHz and play something the gpu clock actually stays at 925, but if I go higher than about 1250 MHz the card becomes unstable and crashes games. So my question is: is this a problem with CCCs' clock or is my card just not OCing?

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I should have been clearer, when it's at 1230 and running fine while ccc says it's at 925, is it actually running at 1230 or 925?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The GPU clock will lower itself to conserve power and reduce heat when it doesn't need to run at 100%. You may be seeing some of that behavior.

What does GPU-Z (link below), report the settings as?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

The problem is CCC, uninstall the software and use MSI Afterburner...rise up the frequency in little steps and test the stability. For that frequency you also will need rise up the voltage of your GPU

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Running FC3 at top settings, GPU-Z tells me it's running at default values, not even boosted.

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I'm using a b75m motherboard, it says that I can't OC on it at all, would this include the GPU? I didn't think it did but maybe I'm the dumbass for not realising that before buying it...

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Right, ok, I go back on what I said. I still need help.

My GPU is saying it's running on default on all monitors from GPUZ to...some others, anyway, what is the next step I should take?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go into CCC/Performance/AMD Overdrive. Make sure Enable Graphics Overdrive is checked (enabled). Then, using the sliders, increase from the stock speeds in small increments (5-10Mhz) and test for stability. Keep doing this until unstable and then back off one increase.

That is OCing 101.

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

*Head desk*

Yes, whenever I do that the GPU readers show NO sign of change.

In fact it's not even activating boost, it's on base 925 when boost is 975...

stalgrim

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

It's not even registering a change when I move the slider, it's not even activating its own boost.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would try this. I would un-install both the drivers and AOD (if you installed separately). Restart.

Then re-install that latest drivers (get directly from amd.com). I think 13.1 is the most recent.

Try again.