Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will a pcie x16 work in a pcie 2 0 x16 slot? and I'm not sure about this crossfi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2010 4:40:03 PM

Hello, I just got a Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p p45 mobo and I'm strapped for cash. I have a Galaxy GeForce 8400GS 512 PCIe x16 graphics card. The PCIe slots on the mobo is a PCIe 2.0 x16 and the other is a x8. It talks about ATI Crossfire X technology which I don't quite understand. I know it's for using 2 graphics cards But I only want to use the 8400 for now. Does this mean I need an ATI card or can I use the 8400?

Best solution

a c 196 U Graphics card
March 14, 2010 4:51:48 PM

It will work fine in your board.

PCIE is forwards and backwards compatible between 1.0 and 2.0, it auto negotiates for the fastest speed so it will work fine.

Any single card will work in that board fine, they only list which dual card setups they support because they require licensing so some only support CF, some only support SLI, some neither and some both, but if you only plan to run the single card you dont have to worry about it.
March 14, 2010 5:09:52 PM

hunter315 said:
It will work fine in your board.

PCIE is forwards and backwards compatible between 1.0 and 2.0, it auto negotiates for the fastest speed so it will work fine.

Any single card will work in that board fine, they only list which dual card setups they support because they require licensing so some only support CF, some only support SLI, some neither and some both, but if you only plan to run the single card you dont have to worry about it.

Thanks Hunter, I was a little concerned. I spent about $400 on a new build and forgot about the graphics card. DUH! I'm not much of a gamer. I'm working on a video workstation for my business. I will purchase a better card or cards later on to utilize the crossfire X. My old computer took a dump and I need to get this one built and running. Things are piling up quickly.
Thanks again!
m
l
March 14, 2010 5:31:04 PM

Best answer selected by MtnHermit.
m
l
!