Im building a new i5 what cheap graphics cards shall i use

G

Hello,
im currently looking to build a pc i want to use the i5 750 core with a GA-p55a-ud3 motherbourd that has a pci ex2.0x16 slot for graphics BUT WHAT CARDS DO I GO FOR..... i dont have a massive budget and was thinking of the NOVATECH ati radeon hd4850 what you think if not let me know im looking bettween £70 to £110

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If you want the best graphics muscle for your money go for any top 4 series card, those are cheaper and perform better, just without Eyefinity and DX11. Try and find a 4870 or 90.

We really need to know the monitor resolution here and how much, if any, gaming you do.
If you're gaming at or below 1680x1050 the that Novatech 512Mb HD4850 is a steal, providing the price includes VAT! Seventy quid! You're having a laugh! ;)
But, the HD5750 is faster and the HD5770 faster still.
I would advise you to get the most powerful card you can afford, or you'll just end up changing it prematurely.

^+1
That's the card you want if you have that much to spend, especially if your monitor has a high resolution.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
with a GA-p55a-ud3 motherbourd

If you are getting the GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard, I would not plan on running crossfire. The board has two PCIe slots, but the second one runs at x4. You'd end up running your cards at x16,x4 which is not a great sceanrio. (Don't plan on running SLI either, it is simply not supported by this board - because of the x16, x4 setup.)

G

What's your monitor's resolution?

Stretch your budget for an HD5750, and crossfire it later. You won't regret the performance.

well ive got a old moniter at mo but i intend to replace it with a viewsonic vx2260wm full hd 22"tft resolution=1920x1080
p.s thanks for all the comments

G

If you are getting the GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard, I would not plan on running crossfire. The board has two PCIe slots, but the second one runs at x4. You'd end up running your cards at x16,x4 which is not a great sceanrio. (Don't plan on running SLI either, it is simply not supported by this board - because of the x16, x4 setup.)

i did notice that the slots were one being x16 and one x4 but do we really need the crossfire 1 graphic cards enought.. longs as its good enought any way please suggest a motherbourd of similer money range that has 2x16 pci slots with sli support... thank you

G

We really need to know the monitor resolution here and how much, if any, gaming you do.

all the latest games that are available and i want it to stand the test of time for about 5 years..... am i asking for a miracle :)

If you want something for 1920x1080 that will last a few years you want an HD5850 but that card is more than twice your budget. Five years is not gunna happen BTW. For a more realistic suggestion I recommend the HD5770 mentioned earlier and getting a real crossfire motherboard(x8+) then adding another HD5770 in a year or two when you feel the need for it.

That motherboard is going to run you $190, with the processor being $200. If you haven't purchased anything, you can go with this combo to get Modern Warfare: 2 for free, as well as having the same performance in gaming. The Phenom class can also be overclocked nicely on the stock heatsink/fan, capable of achieving 3.8ghz. Then, with the $100 saved, you can upgrade your budget to around $250 for an HD5830, or perhaps the HD5850($300) becomes feasible for you at this point as well.

If you wish to remain with your curent setup, then yes, hat HD5770 is perfectly alright.

G

:D :D thanks for all your help guys but i think im gonna go with the P7P55D Deluxe motherbourd its alot more money coming in at £150 but looks well worth it in the long run also the graphics are working out more but should be worth it in the long run ... HD5750 let me now if there any thing you can see wrong in this set up.... but i thinks its sound once again thanks :bounce:

And like I said, there's always the AMD route, so you can get a CF 8x/8x motherboard with 2xHD5750 or 1xHD5830 for a cheaper price. A phenom has equal gaming performance as any i5, and slightly worse than an i7-920.