Getting a new video card

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 7:59:40 AM

Currently I have a GF4 ti 4600. I'm thinking of gettting a new card and I
want to be sure that Thief 2's fan missions and games like Dark Shadows will
work. Any recomendations or warnings?

More about : video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 3:00:55 PM

po wrote:
> Currently I have a GF4 ti 4600. I'm thinking of gettting a new card and I
> want to be sure that Thief 2's fan missions and games like Dark Shadows will
> work. Any recomendations or warnings?

I took the cheapest upgrade route I could find at the time. I have a
64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis. It was only $69.
I couldn't use anything better as my motherboard only had 4x AGP slot.
Albert
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 5:04:24 PM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 04:59:40 -0500, "po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Currently I have a GF4 ti 4600. I'm thinking of gettting a new card and I
>want to be sure that Thief 2's fan missions and games like Dark Shadows will
>work. Any recomendations or warnings?

A gfx card isn't the entire equation. The most expesnive card on the
planet won't help you if you put it to work in a 500MHz computer.

Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 5:04:25 PM

I forgot to tell you about my system.

It's an athlon 1.8+
I think it has a pretty good abit motherboard built for Nvidia.
500 high speed DDR - Don't know all the technical terms, but it's fast
stuff. 512, I think.
Soundblaster live platinum
My current GF4 ti 4600 has 128 RAM

So, not the latest system, but it's no dinosaur.

"Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 04:59:40 -0500, "po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>Currently I have a GF4 ti 4600. I'm thinking of gettting a new card and I
>>want to be sure that Thief 2's fan missions and games like Dark Shadows
>>will
>>work. Any recomendations or warnings?
>
> A gfx card isn't the entire equation. The most expesnive card on the
> planet won't help you if you put it to work in a 500MHz computer.

> Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf
>
> To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 5:16:17 PM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:35:26 -0500, "po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I forgot to tell you about my system.
>
>It's an athlon 1.8+
>I think it has a pretty good abit motherboard built for Nvidia.
>500 high speed DDR - Don't know all the technical terms, but it's fast
>stuff. 512, I think.
>Soundblaster live platinum
>My current GF4 ti 4600 has 128 RAM
>
>So, not the latest system, but it's no dinosaur.

Don't know anything about the other but Thief 2 should work fine with that
system. I doubt you'd even need to upgrade the video card. Remember, T2
came out in 1998.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:16:17 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Don't know anything about the other but Thief 2 should work fine with that
>system. I doubt you'd even need to upgrade the video card. Remember, T2
>came out in 1998.

So TDP, TG and T2 all came out in '98? :p

Nevertheless, Thief2 was released in August 2000, so you still have a
point. OTOH, have you tried running Calendra's Legacy on your old
450MHz? I haven't, and I wouldn't even bother to try if, even if it
was my only option for playing CL.

Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 6:24:39 PM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:24:38 +0100, Greger Hoel
<gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:16:17 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Don't know anything about the other but Thief 2 should work fine with that
>>system. I doubt you'd even need to upgrade the video card. Remember, T2
>>came out in 1998.
>
>So TDP, TG and T2 all came out in '98? :p

Huh? I never claimed that. My Thief 2 executable has a 1998 date on it.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 6:49:13 PM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:35:26 -0500, "po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I forgot to tell you about my system.
>
>It's an athlon 1.8+
>I think it has a pretty good abit motherboard built for Nvidia.
>500 high speed DDR - Don't know all the technical terms, but it's fast
>stuff. 512, I think.
>Soundblaster live platinum
>My current GF4 ti 4600 has 128 RAM
>
>So, not the latest system, but it's no dinosaur.

If by "Dark Shadows," you mean Thief: Deadly Shadows (aka Thief3), you
might get framrate issues, but you can definitely play any Thief2 FM
without problems. With that CPU, though, you'll be paying for a lot of
nothing if you buy an above budget gfx card. OTOH, if you think of
upgrading your CPU as well, in the not too distant future, you might
be better off with a ballsier gfx card. If you only want to upgrade
your gfx card, Iæd say go with a Radeon 9600XT. If you were to upgrade
your CPU to an Athlon XP2400-M (which you can overclock to kingdom
come), or another relatively fast XP, I'd say go with a Radeon
9800Pro, Geforce 6600GT or Geforce 6800LE. Outta the box, the GT6600
is a bit faster than the 6800LE, but the LE can be softmodded to
perform like a regular 6800 or even a 6800GT. A nice option to have
some time down the line when the warranty's expired and you don't have
the dough for a new card :)
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2004 11:28:55 PM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:45:51 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:24:38 +0100, Greger Hoel
><gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:16:17 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Don't know anything about the other but Thief 2 should work fine with that
>>>system. I doubt you'd even need to upgrade the video card. Remember, T2
>>>came out in 1998.
>>
>>So TDP, TG and T2 all came out in '98? :p
>
>Huh? I never claimed that.

When do you think TDP and TG were relased then? 96? Maybe 95? Ten year
anniversary next year!?

>My Thief 2 executable has a 1998 date on it.

That's very odd as it was released in 2000.
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome
December 8, 2004 7:49:03 AM

"Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> po wrote:

>> Now back to Thief 2. May I assume you're running some flavor of Windows
> XP? The major video pitfalls I know of are:
>
> 1) a possible problem with the way T2 handles textures. I can't recall
> the exact fix, but if you get nothing but a black screen when you
> actually start a mission, there's a line you have to un-comment in one
> of the configuration files. Of course, you need to use the "-lgntforce"
> switch when running T2's installer, and run T2 under Win98 compatibility
> mode when playing on a Win XP machine. Post to this newsgroup for
> further details if necessary.

I'm not very good with the tech side of things but I can tell you that I've
been running T2 on two different computers, both running XP Pro and I've
never had to use the " -lgntforce" command to install T2, though I did for
TG. I also do no need to use compatibility mode to play either T2 or TG.
They run fine in XP on both computers, one with a NVidia Ti4200 and one with
a Radeon 9800 Pro video card.

The black screen problem only is an issue with some of the later versions of
video drivers. I just use a slightly older version of the nVidia drivers but
I don't have a very new card so that may not be an option for some people.
If you want details on the fix, you can find them here, plus lots of other
troubleshooting tips:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031

Nightwalker

--
Remove *leavemealone* from email address
December 9, 2004 8:48:38 AM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 04:59:40 -0500, "po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Currently I have a GF4 ti 4600. I'm thinking of gettting a new card and I
>want to be sure that Thief 2's fan missions and games like Dark Shadows will
>work. Any recomendations or warnings?

I just went through the same process. I have a 1.4 GHz Athalon (0.5 GB
RAM) and I ended up buying the PNY 5700 LE for $69 with rebates.
Sadly I see little difference between this card and my Geforce 3 Ti
200, I'm guessing my CPU is the bottleneck now. I'm in the process of
upgrading to the 2000+ XP. I've also noticed the game crashes to the
desktop now and again with this card.

There were some nice deals at the end of Nov, and there may be more
coming before christmas. Circuit City had the 9800 Pro discounted down
to $149, and they may do it again before santa rolls around. I would
wait a week or two and see if the retailers start to panic, you could
get a very good deal. I use techbargains.com to keep an eye on
things.

-JM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2004 12:42:30 AM

On the 7 Dec 2004, Albert Conklin <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I took the cheapest upgrade route I could find at the time. I have a
> 64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis. It was only $69.

> I couldn't use anything better as my motherboard only had 4x AGP
> slot.

So does mine, but I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro in it. 8x cards /will/
work in 4x AGP slots.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2004 4:57:28 AM

Graham Thurlwell wrote:

> On the 7 Dec 2004, Albert Conklin <aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>I took the cheapest upgrade route I could find at the time. I have a
>>64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis. It was only $69.
>

>>I couldn't use anything better as my motherboard only had 4x AGP
>>slot.
>

> So does mine, but I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro in it. 8x cards /will/
> work in 4x AGP slots.

Now I find this out. :-(
Albert
December 13, 2004 3:08:20 AM

> I just went through the same process. I have a 1.4 GHz Athalon (0.5 GB
> RAM) and I ended up buying the PNY 5700 LE for $69 with rebates.
> Sadly I see little difference between this card and my Geforce 3 Ti
> 200, I'm guessing my CPU is the bottleneck now.

You would be surprised how much a good videocard would improve your
gaming. Try a plain 6800, they are $199 now at bestbuy & elsewhere, and
faster out of the box than a 9800pro. And many of them can have their extra
pipelines enabled with Rivatuner. I'm running a 6800GT ($350) and am very
pleased with it: it runs pretty much every game, even the newest ones like
HL2 & Doom3 at 1600x1200 with 60+ frames/sec.

rms
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2004 3:37:05 AM

>> <snip>
>>
>>>I took the cheapest upgrade route I could find at the time. I have a
>>>64 Meg Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis. It was only $69.
>>

>>>I couldn't use anything better as my motherboard only had 4x AGP
>>>slot.
>>

>> So does mine, but I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro in it. 8x cards /will/
>> work in 4x AGP slots.
> Now I find this out. :-(
> Albert

MUCH more important than the speed of the AGP port is the voltage it supplies.
Some cards (1x and 4x i think) requires 3.3V and 1.5V while the newest generation (8x AGP
v3) only is 0.8V.
Oh - and don't get the AGP version confused with the APG speed.

These numbers is just what I remember, but be sure to look into what your mb/gfx req/needs
before plugging a new gfx in.
In the worst case you can kill either mb or gfx.

ShutEye
December 13, 2004 7:27:45 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:37:05 +0100, ShutEye wrote:

> MUCH more important than the speed of the AGP port is the voltage it supplies.
> Some cards (1x and 4x i think) requires 3.3V and 1.5V while the newest generation (8x AGP
> v3) only is 0.8V.

True, but most cards (or rather, the AGP slots) are keyed so that
mismatching cards will physically not fit into the slot.

Mike
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2004 3:43:05 PM

>> MUCH more important than the speed of the AGP port is the voltage it supplies.
>> Some cards (1x and 4x i think) requires 3.3V and 1.5V while the newest generation (8x
>> AGP
>> v3) only is 0.8V.
>
> True, but most cards (or rather, the AGP slots) are keyed so that
> mismatching cards will physically not fit into the slot.
>
> Mike

Yes, most :)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2004 7:45:09 AM

I'm gonna get the Nvidia 6600 gt AGP with 128 RAM. Should be here in a week
and hopefully I'll be trading in my 5500 fx. I'm just not satisified that
it's a step up.

"po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:p ZWdnZHl49dv4yjcRVn-2Q@adelphia.com...
> Currently I have a GF4 ti 4600. I'm thinking of gettting a new card and I
> want to be sure that Thief 2's fan missions and games like Dark Shadows
> will work. Any recomendations or warnings?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2004 3:17:56 PM

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote
> Don't know anything about the other but Thief 2 should work fine with that
> system. I doubt you'd even need to upgrade the video card. Remember, T2
> came out in 1998.

Well it's not about that if the system is powerful enough
to run all games, but is the video card - for example -
COMPATIBLE with the older titles. If I recall correctly,
Thief2 had some gfx issues with the latest video cards,
but it was quite easy to fix by modding the cfg-files
somehow.
!