More HP laptop problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 9, 2004 10:30:52 PM

I finally gave up on repairing the failed battery charging circuitry on my
two year old HP Pavilion ZT1135 - way too expensive at $500 plus.

So I purchased a new HP Pavilion ZV5220US, only to discover that it has
problems too. The problem I encountered is a flawed HP driver update that is
needed before installing Service Pack 2.. The driver is one created by HP,
not Microsoft. There are several drivers from HP that need to be installed
before some of the HP features can run under Service Pack 2. Only one of the
drivers seemed to be flawed.

After downloading these HP-recommended drivers from the HP website,
http://www.hp.com/go/windowsxp, then installing them, the laptop completely
froze up (clicking on any desktop icon or the START button resulted in no
action at all). This occurred right after one of the drivers, the flawed
one, was installed. I called HP tech support, and after going through many
steps suggested by the technician, she finally admitted that the HP driver
must be defective. The defective driver is one that HP calls SP26328.exe. It
is referred to as "Media Center Volume On Screen Display and Multimedia
Keyboard".

So the bottom line is, attempting to install HP drivers on the Pavilion
ZV5220US laptop will result in a frozen system that will require a clean
install of the operating system. I'm not sure what would happen if the user
would try to install SP2 without installing the HP drivers first, but it
surely couldn't cause any more damage than installing the HP drivers.

I took the laptop back to the store and got a full refund. No more HP
laptops for me!

More about : laptop problems

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b \ Driver
September 10, 2004 1:04:47 AM

Papa wrote:

> I took the laptop back to the store and got a full refund. No more HP
> laptops for me!

Well, I don't know the units You have, and what went wrong, but usually HP
has very good notebooks. The Pavilions are the consumer-grade series which
are for home users, and usually don't have an support that is as good as the
regular HP notebooks (nx/nw/nz/nc/nr Series), but then the Pavilions are
also less expensive. If You need very good driver support or compatibility
with certain applications maybe You should have a look on the other models
as well...

Benjamin
September 10, 2004 1:04:48 AM

I know what you are saying. However, HP (without saying a word about
possible driver incompatibilities) strongly recommended using the flawed
driver I mentioned. They even included a special flyer in the box urging
users to install that driver.

On top of that, another HP laptop that I purchased just 2 years ago has now
developed failed circuitry.

These experiences are something that, luckily for me, have not occurred with
my other laptops (Gateway and Dell). As I said, no more HPs for me.
Related resources
September 10, 2004 10:19:24 AM

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>I finally gave up on repairing the failed battery charging circuitry on my
>two year old HP Pavilion ZT1135 - way too expensive at $500 plus.
>
> So I purchased a new HP Pavilion ZV5220US, only to discover that it has
> problems too. The problem I encountered is a flawed HP driver update that
> is needed before installing Service Pack 2.. The driver is one created by
> HP, not Microsoft. There are several drivers from HP that need to be
> installed before some of the HP features can run under Service Pack 2.
> Only one of the drivers seemed to be flawed.
>
> After downloading these HP-recommended drivers from the HP website,
> http://www.hp.com/go/windowsxp, then installing them, the laptop
> completely froze up (clicking on any desktop icon or the START button
> resulted in no action at all). This occurred right after one of the
> drivers, the flawed one, was installed. I called HP tech support, and
> after going through many steps suggested by the technician, she finally
> admitted that the HP driver must be defective. The defective driver is one
> that HP calls SP26328.exe. It is referred to as "Media Center Volume On
> Screen Display and Multimedia Keyboard".
>
> So the bottom line is, attempting to install HP drivers on the Pavilion
> ZV5220US laptop will result in a frozen system that will require a clean
> install of the operating system. I'm not sure what would happen if the
> user would try to install SP2 without installing the HP drivers first, but
> it surely couldn't cause any more damage than installing the HP drivers.
>
> I took the laptop back to the store and got a full refund. No more HP
> laptops for me!

It should be standard procedure for any laptop/notebook owner to check the
manufacturer's web site for their recommendations before doing any OS
upgrade/update. I have updated my ZD7168CL to SP2 and it has worked
flawlessly. Only HP update I needed was the Image Zone software update. I
would never use MS " generic" updates for drivers from their update site on
any computer I maintain anyway.
Bob
September 10, 2004 10:52:01 AM

"Bob" <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>>I finally gave up on repairing the failed battery charging circuitry on my
>>two year old HP Pavilion ZT1135 - way too expensive at $500 plus.
>>
>> So I purchased a new HP Pavilion ZV5220US, only to discover that it has
>> problems too. The problem I encountered is a flawed HP driver update that
>> is needed before installing Service Pack 2.. The driver is one created by
>> HP, not Microsoft. There are several drivers from HP that need to be
>> installed before some of the HP features can run under Service Pack 2.
>> Only one of the drivers seemed to be flawed.
>>
>> After downloading these HP-recommended drivers from the HP website,
>> http://www.hp.com/go/windowsxp, then installing them, the laptop
>> completely froze up (clicking on any desktop icon or the START button
>> resulted in no action at all). This occurred right after one of the
>> drivers, the flawed one, was installed. I called HP tech support, and
>> after going through many steps suggested by the technician, she finally
>> admitted that the HP driver must be defective. The defective driver is
>> one that HP calls SP26328.exe. It is referred to as "Media Center Volume
>> On Screen Display and Multimedia Keyboard".
>>
>> So the bottom line is, attempting to install HP drivers on the Pavilion
>> ZV5220US laptop will result in a frozen system that will require a clean
>> install of the operating system. I'm not sure what would happen if the
>> user would try to install SP2 without installing the HP drivers first,
>> but it surely couldn't cause any more damage than installing the HP
>> drivers.
>>
>> I took the laptop back to the store and got a full refund. No more HP
>> laptops for me!
>
> It should be standard procedure for any laptop/notebook owner to check the
> manufacturer's web site for their recommendations before doing any OS
> upgrade/update. I have updated my ZD7168CL to SP2 and it has worked
> flawlessly. Only HP update I needed was the Image Zone software update. I
> would never use MS " generic" updates for drivers from their update site
> on any computer I maintain anyway.
> Bob

I also should have added that you're right that HP and (all the
manufacturers) should do more extensive testing on their own driver updates
before posting and recommending them...I always wait for feedback from the
HP user forum, for the R3000/Z5000 series it would be:
http://www.r3000forums.com/ before doing ANY kind of update/upgrade.
Excellent user feedback and help is available there from people who have
been there/done that! Hopefully there is a good user forum for whatever
brand you replace the HP with.
Take care,
Bob
September 10, 2004 11:19:40 AM

> I also should have added that you're right that HP and (all the
> manufacturers) should do more extensive testing on their own driver
> updates before posting and recommending them...I always wait for feedback
> from the HP user forum, for the R3000/Z5000 series it would be:
> http://www.r3000forums.com/ before doing ANY kind of update/upgrade.
> Excellent user feedback and help is available there from people who have
> been there/done that! Hopefully there is a good user forum for whatever
> brand you replace the HP with.
> Take care,
> Bob

Papa,
One question....did your ZV5220US come with Windows XP Media Center
operating system. It's listed on the HP web site only as having Win XP. If
not the Media Center update should not have been applied...just want to know
in case I run into this model HP notebook and need to do an update!
Sorry for the multiple posts....
Thanks,
Bob
September 10, 2004 10:23:14 PM

>> I also should have added that you're right that HP and (all the
>> manufacturers) should do more extensive testing on their own driver
>> updates before posting and recommending them...I always wait for feedback
>> from the HP user forum, for the R3000/Z5000 series it would be:
>> http://www.r3000forums.com/ before doing ANY kind of update/upgrade.
>> Excellent user feedback and help is available there from people who have
>> been there/done that! Hopefully there is a good user forum for whatever
>> brand you replace the HP with.
>> Take care,
>> Bob
>
> Papa,
> One question....did your ZV5220US come with Windows XP Media Center
> operating system. It's listed on the HP web site only as having Win XP. If
> not the Media Center update should not have been applied...just want to
> know in case I run into this model HP notebook and need to do an update!
> Sorry for the multiple posts....
> Thanks,
> Bob

No, it came with Windows XP Home Edition. AFAIK, Windows XP Media Center is
NOT an operating system, but is just a set of conveniences that run in an XP
environment. Nevertheless, neither the HP website, nor the HP documentation
that came with the system, had a word to say about whether or not those
drivers might present problems. All that HP said was - install the drivers
on your Windows XP system BEFORE installing Service Pack 2.
September 10, 2004 10:23:15 PM

> You made some very valid points, and, yes, the Media Center is indeed a
> superset of XP. However, the point remains: HP failed to distinguish the
> differences and, in fact, in their documentation they even encourage XP
> users to download and install those Media Center drivers on their XP
> systems BEFORE installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.
>
> As was said by the warden in the Cool Hand Luke movie, "What we have here
> is a failure to communicate". ;>)_

All I can say is:
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet"
....wish I could get another one of those bumper stickers!
Take care Papa,
Bob
June 18, 2009 3:52:53 AM

how do i move my display screen from vertical position back to horizontal position, i some how hit some botton by accident.
June 24, 2010 11:12:45 AM

you should have just bought and external battery charger for you old laptop for $25 on ebay like i did for my hp dv4000 that won't charge batteries?
!