Motherboard help

what does this mean? A PCI 2.1 compliant motherboard with full-height free slot, how do i find out what pci compliant motherboard i have? like what does 2.1 mean? im looking into buying a cheap new graphic card cuz the last one i bought they said was defective so i get to choose another one around for free around 60 bucks n want one that works so needa kno this stuff, i have an emachines windows vista and this is some info bout my comp

ET1641-02w ECS MCP73VT-PM Intel® Celeron® X2 E1400 2.0 GHz
6 answers Last reply
More about motherboard help
  1. You probably mean pci-e 2.1. The emachines has a low end power supply; you may want to upgrade it for any separate video card upgrade. Check your specs for the power supply wattage. If it's under 300 watts, you'll need a new one. I suggest 400-500 watts by ocz or antec. With the better power supply, you can run many pci-e 1.0-2.1 video cards in your price range. Those brands will have all the connectors you need for your new card.
  2. o1die said:
    You probably mean pci-e 2.1. The emachines has a low end power supply; you may want to upgrade it for any separate video card upgrade. Check your specs for the power supply wattage. If it's under 300 watts, you'll need a new one. I suggest 400-500 watts by ocz or antec. With the better power supply, you can run many pci-e 1.0-2.1 video cards in your price range. Those brands will have all the connectors you need for your new card.


    i have a antec 500w that i bought and installed i just wanna know whats a decent graphic card for my system and i was about to buy one then i seen somethin about 128bit and 64bit then seein somethin bout must need a 2.0 or 2.1 compatible motherboard and i dont get what any of that stuff means so need help with that because last graphic card i bought didnt work n was 80 dollars lol
  3. Be sure you have the pci-e connector on the power supply if your new card requires it. Can you link your vender? I use newegg.com.
  4. o1die said:
    Be sure you have the pci-e connector on the power supply if your new card requires it. Can you link your vender? I use newegg.com.

    yea it has a pci e connector i have the antec earthwatts 500w atx12v v2.3 one but may you tell me what pci e 2.0 or whatever means? i needa know if i have one of them because i know i have only 1 pci e x16 and 1 pci e x1 slot on my motherboard but duno if its 2.0 i dont even know what th 2.0 is and may you tell me what ddr5 is? i only heard of ddr2 so after i figure them 2 out im sure im ready to buy a new g card
  5. Just use the pci-e 16x slot. Older pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 cards will also work on your board. The card will only fit in the longer pci-e slot.
  6. o1die said:
    Just use the pci-e 16x slot. Older pci-e 1.0 and 2.0 cards will also work on your board. The card will only fit in the longer pci-e slot.

    well i went on the internet and ordered Video Card GT240 512MB DDR5 lol so hopefully it works
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI Graphics Cards