Help choosing a new card

cactus128

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
ok, this is probably the question from hell, but please bear with me :pt1cable:

Until recently i was using a sapphire 3850 agp card in my pc, never had any crashes, not one.

I got hold of modern warfare 2 and decided that i should upgrade my system to a newer pci-e card whilst my old card was still worth something on ebay.

I bought a sapphire radeon 4890 pci-e card and fitted it. all was well, the games performance was really, really good. I sold the 3850, all was well.

Then the problems started, i started to get random crashes during modern warfare 2 during multiplayer mode, and when i returned to the desktop (windows vista sp2) i had a warnign message waiting for me staing that the display driver had stopped responding and had recovered.

I did some voltage mesurements using a calibrated multi meter and removed the sides from my pc. i was noticing voltage flucuations on the 12v rail, so i begrudgingly purchased a new psu (antec ea-650).
Voltage flucations disapeared all was well, for about 20 minutes until it did it again.

At this point i lost my rag and arranged to return this card and get a refund. as a stop gap measure i have fitted my backup card (nvidia 6600 gt) and have been (for a laugh) playing modern warfare 2 at 1080 resolution with no crashes, no nothing. Not laughing anymore.

I am coming to the conclusion that the 4890 was a dog, and am in the market for a new graphics card that can play games like modern warfare2 and team fortress 2 at a resolution of 1280x1040 with a decent quality with NO crashes garaunteed.

If such a thing exists can someone let me know as the last thing i want is to have another dog on my hands.

cheers,

rob

cactus128

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
the money i spent on the 4890 was about £150 pounds, so i suppose that i am looking around the same price.

I forgot to mention, the card was also crashing when using skype on a videocall, and NOTHING crashes on skype, not even my mums pc. :eek:

cactus128

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
i am. I decided to go with it as i already had the 3850 and was reluctant to ditch it when i upgraded the rest of the system. but i wanted the pci-e slot in order to make it a bit more flexible for the future.

They seemed like a good idea but I have seen people have issues with them when they have tried to run PCIe 2.0 cards in them, is there anything in the BIOS that allows you to change the PCIe from say 1.0 to 1.0a or anything like that?

cactus128

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
i do now. but the 4890 was installed upon a fresh install of vista ultimate. i have not removed the ati drivers yet, but the 6600 gt is running very well considering its age.

before today though, no.

hopar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

At those resolutions where the 5770's bandwidth isnt the bottleneck? probably.

cactus128

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
ok. this is where i look like a bit of a dick but the comment on my mother board got me looking at the asrock site to check the specs of my mobo.

i turns out that there was a bios upgrade issued in sept 2009 that patches support for the 4800 series of the radeon cards.

i have flashed it and am now going to give the card another go.

just as a bit of filler, does anyone know what this patch (2.20) actually fixed regarding support for these cards?