Sign in with
Your question

Good Cooler for modest OC? Other settings that need to be changed?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 15, 2013 7:24:56 PM

I have an Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan. Right now it seems to keep everything below 95ºF under a full load from Prime95. On everything else it's at 85ºF or less.

I know I need to change the multiplier and the VCore but what other settings need to be changed?

If this information is needed:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: GTX 660 Ti
Case: Azza Fusion 3000
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 7:51:54 PM

beastman3226 said:
I have an Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan. Right now it seems to keep everything below 95ºF under a full load from Prime95. On everything else it's at 85ºF or less.

I know I need to change the multiplier and the VCore but what other settings need to be changed?

If this information is needed:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: GTX 660 Ti
Case: Azza Fusion 3000

If those temperatures are indeed in Fahrenheit, you have absolutely nothing to worry about for overclocking. That's like 35C at load, which is a typical idle temperature for most people.

Now as for which settings to change, it varies by motherboards, so I can't be of much help there. I am a newcomer to overclocking, but mostly it seems you want to disable automatic "turbo" modes, which are essentially poor-man's factory overclocking. You also need to set LLC for a high enough compensation on vcore drops, and there are various other things that need adjusted.

I am on my way out the door, so I couldn't find you a guide for that specific motherboard, but perhaps this guide will shed some light on your question:
http://rog.asus.com/184142012/maximus-v-motherboards/gu...

It is an ASUS board, so perhaps the bios will look familiar. On the other hand, perhaps not.

Wish I could be of more help, but I'm sure somebody around here can point you in the right direction.

And one last thing, make sure anything you take from that guide is adjusted for your needs / system. For example, the multiplier of 45 is more than a modest overclock. That's actually a pretty big leap, and not all i5-3570Ks will even reach that. Which brings this quote into question:

"1.25V is a good starting value that should be enough to get any i5-3570K to 4.5GHz"

That is actually complete crap. My i5-3570K took 1.276 to finally be stable.

Anyway, good luck.
m
l
February 15, 2013 8:58:21 PM

What about whatever ASUS' overclocker utility is? Is the software safe?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 9:05:52 PM

beastman3226 said:
What about whatever ASUS' overclocker utility is? Is the software safe?

I wouldn't really know. Maybe somebody else can answer that question. My gut tells me going through the BIOS is the best bet.
m
l
!