Best drives for Raid 1?

I'm going to be purchasing a Synology DS212 NAS in the next few months. I thought I had all the details worked out, I was going to by 2 Western Digital 2tb green drives and set up a RAID 1...then I read on a number of forums that green drives should not be used for RAID.

So I started from scratch, and scoured the internet/forums for the best drive suggestions. Hitachi or Western Digital Black seems to be the favorites. For the Hitachi, the bad reviews are off-putting (http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskstar-3-5-Inch-Internal-0F12115/dp/B004AM6TKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336073012&sr=8-1) and for the WD Black the $200+ price point and noise complaints are a turn off.

I don't care too much about performance. I just want to stream video files of varying video quality (DVD to Bluray all under 4gb a piece) from my NAS to my Apple TV 2 without any hiccups and be able to duplicate my files automatically.

What are everyone's opinions on what I should get?
1 answer Last reply
More about best drives raid
  1. The greens are fine and use less power hence the green. Since you are connected to the NAS via network the drives speed is just not that big a deal. These drives are on the inside of every external drive I have ever opened so there should be no issue running them in a nas.. Other drives will be faster but since you don't have a direct connection that does not matter.

Thent
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Western Digital Storage