Sign in with
Your question

Core i-7 mem. controller

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2010 12:03:18 AM

I see my i-7 960 is rated for three channels of DDR3-1066 memory. Can I run DDR3 1600 or 2000 memory? Will the on-chip mem. controller have a problem with that? Will I have to do alot of manual adjustments to the mem. settings?

More about : core mem controller

June 11, 2010 12:36:10 AM

Quote:
Nopeļ¼Œ most RAM should have their own profile and self0sdjust the settings accordingly. Only in some circumstances will you have to mess with timings, mostly on DDR3 200 sticks.

So I'm ok to use 1600 or 2000 from what I gather from your answer. Any good reason to hassle (possible) with 2000?
Relative Build info:
i7 960, Asus p6x58D prem. mobo, Win 7 Ult., XFX ATI 5870 GPU, WD2001FS HD,
Guess that's all that applies. I appreciate your help. (more than I can say) Thanks!
m
l
June 11, 2010 12:31:46 PM

You'll see no tangible benefit in your RAM operating any faster than 1333MHz - only benchmarks show the difference.

However, the reason to get faster-rated RAM is to you give you plenty of headroom when overclocking your CPU. Because so many of the numbers involved in i7 overclocking are all intertwined, you can end up with some pretty weird numbers for RAM speed, so fast RAM means you can accommodate it.

That's the dead-simple nutshell anyway :p 
m
l
June 11, 2010 11:03:09 PM

LePhuronn said:
You'll see no tangible benefit in your RAM operating any faster than 1333MHz - only benchmarks show the difference.

However, the reason to get faster-rated RAM is to you give you plenty of headroom when overclocking your CPU. Because so many of the numbers involved in i7 overclocking are all intertwined, you can end up with some pretty weird numbers for RAM speed, so fast RAM means you can accommodate it.

That's the dead-simple nutshell anyway :p 

That's the answer I needed. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, and for all your help.
m
l
!