Sign in with
Your question

Did i install this heat sink right?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2010 12:38:21 AM

I just finished building my first computer, it has a i7-860 and a hyper 212+ cool. the only thing is, i watched alot of videos online on applying thermal paste, when i was installing mine though, it felt kinda dry and didnt spread well on the cpu. It kept peeling off on the card i was using to spread it. So i just finished a installed winodws then ran speedfan which reported temps of 24-28 C when idle, and would jump to 50C when ~20% cpu is being used. So i decided to run prime95 and within 30secs- 1 min, speedfan reported temps around 70C. I dont think i should be getting these high temperatures. Any thoughs, should i get some better thermal paste?

More about : install heat sink

a b à CPUs
June 11, 2010 12:53:40 AM

24* when idle sounds right, prime 95 loads the cpu to an ammount that the cpu will never actually reach, even under video encoding, sounds like you did well
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2010 1:17:39 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back, but i wasnt too happy with my results still so i bought the 2nd 120mm fan for my hyper 212+ and redid the thermal paste using the 2 line method and just letting it spread under the weight of the heatsink. Now when i run prime 95 it starts with 53* and tops around 57*, which is better. Would these temperatures leave me some good room for overclocking now?

If yes, could someone point me in the direction of a good guide to ocing this cpu. I looked at alot of guides but some are really generic and dont explain everything step by step.

Thanks for all the help.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2010 5:10:56 PM

I think 70'C is too high for cpu, but 57'C is acceptable.
okay now try OC it a little and see what temps do you get...
m
l
!