Sign in with
Your question

What's a Good Bench Mark Program

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2010 2:52:27 AM

What is a good Bench mark program to check my PCs overall performance?

I think my Pooter runs slow? I say "think" because I am not really sure. I see some web pages load slow but when I do a speed test it say I have good download speed, I know that it could be the PC on the other end as some web pages zip but how do I know for sure? I see some apps. work slow or stutter at certain points but perhaps it is a in it's a part of it's operation where it works the hardest.

I am talking about performance after a clean install, I think I have a good entry level enthusiast component (Check my System Spec) so either I need to do a bench mark to get a reference or I have faulty stuff in my case that I need to replace.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2010 2:59:57 AM

Try PCMark vantage, it will benchmark the entire system but i think your issues is the HDD. The 80GB caviar blue drive will cause a decent bottleneck and slow downs when data has to be retrieved from it like windows page files.

As for the slow loading web pages, people overestimate the importants of a high bandwidth connection, you are downloading at most 100k which takes a fraction of a second even on a fairly slow DSL connection, whats more important is a consistently low latency connection. Check your connections latency here
http://pingtest.net/
if your ping is high, like 200ms, at random times that will make pages take significantly longer to load.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 1, 2010 7:53:43 AM

^+1
Agreed!
Upgrade your HDD!
Related resources
April 1, 2010 12:06:16 PM

Im Sorry, my system specs must have malfunctioned, the Western Digital is just a support drive for my OCZ Veritec 30GB SSD where I relocated my Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, Favorites and Video to and as for Internet speed I check it regularly and take a screen shot of the results and save it to a folder. My Download varies from the low teens to 121Mbs but usually is from 20Mbs to 40Mbs, My Upload varies from about 4Mbs to the mid 20s but is usually around 4 or 5Mbs.

I thought my boot time was too long because after a clean install before anything else it was about 15 seconds after the 15 seconds of bios post and handing off to OS and after updates and software installation is was about 90 seconds but I found that to be about what others were getting per a post on boot speeds.

* GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
* Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz(Stinking CO)
* Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB)DDR3
* MSI R4670-2D1G/D3
* OCZ 30GB SSD(OS)
* Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB 7200 RPM SATA II(OS Off load)
* Antec EA 750 PSU
* Samsung LN52A650
* Antec P180

April 2, 2010 4:21:38 AM

Keep in mind that your system could be experiencing sporadic slowdown when operations such as windows updates or antivirus definitions are being downloaded or installed, as well as antivirus scans. Check your various programs to optimize your timing for these events. Startup times can be longer as well, on the first restart after Windows Updates have been installed.

Just some thoughts on performance issues. Cheers!
!