Sign in with
Your question

Should have 9GB of RAM but I have 4GB

Last response: in Memory
December 6, 2010 9:55:43 PM

I purchased this excellent new computer within the last year I would say. Basically zero problems with it until I couldn't boot up at all. It would try to load Windows but simply fail and restart. I tried using a restore point, which I had to run from a disk because the internal one would not load. I successfully booted up twice from using a restore point. Then I eventually fixed the problem by finding that I had a loss RAM card. I simply moved this RAM card from this dis-functional RAM port to my empty port. I currently had 9GB of RAM installed. 4x2GB sticks and one 1GB stick. Then, happy as could be that I fixed my computer, I checked the RAM in my Control Panel>System view and saw that I had 9GB of RAM, lovely. But now, over the last month or so I would say, right after I fixed this problem, I started to loss RAM. One day I checked my Control Panel>System and it said 7GB. Then a few weeks later, and it had dropped to 4GB. I am still currently at 4GB and I downloaded this program called "CPUID". It reported that I currently have 9GB of RAM installed. It also showed me each of my ports (SPD), displaying each of my 4x2GB sticks and my one 1GB stick. Now I would love to know how the hell to turn these other RAM sticks on because this is stupid that Windows 7 doesn't recognize them. I updated my BIOS and within my BIOS it shows 2x2GB sticks recognized. Occasionally when I boot windows up I have 7GB or RAM and then shortly after I get a blue screen error and system crashes.
Computer Specs:
Intel Core i7 920 @2.67GHz
Windows 7 64-bit
Radeon HD 4650
HP Pavilion e9280t

More about : 9gb ram 4gb

December 6, 2010 10:50:56 PM

What's the make and model numbers for your RAM. Different ram sticks have different timings, and unless they all work at the same timings and frequencies, the system can become unstable.

Also, DIMM slots like to be filled in specific orders when you dont have all of them filled. Also it sounds like you're not using triple channel memory, which shouldn't really be an issue but its not optimal for an i7 system.

If you could give us more specific information about the RAM that you have, we could offer you more detailed solutions.
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:24:31 PM

Sorry, of course. According to CPU-Z :
"Slot #1" DDR3
Module Size: 2048 MB
Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Manufacturer: Elpida

Timing Table:
JEDEC #1 Frequency: 457 MHz
JEDEC #2 Frequency: 533 MHz
JEDEC #3 Frequency: 609 MHz
JEDEC #4 Frequency: 685 MHz

"Slot #2":
Identical to Slot #1 except Serial Number is changed by one letter.

"Slot #3" DDR3
Module Size: 1024 MB
Max Bandwidth: PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Manufacturer: Micron Technology

Timing Table:
JEDEC #3 Frequency: 533 MHz
JEDEC #4 Frequency: 609 MHz
JEDEC #5 Frequency: 685 MHz
JEDEC #6 Frequency: 761 MHz

Also CAS# Latency is different, but if you were to add "1" to each one in sequence from Slot #1 or #2, it would equal Slot #3.

Slot #4:
Identical to Slot #1 and #2

Slot #5:
Identical to Slot #1, #2, and #4

Slot #6:
Empty, the broken slot I mentioned before that I had to move a RAM module out of to be able to boot up and eliminated one of my problems.

Over all Memory tab in CPU-Z:
Type: DDR3
Size: 9216 MB
Channels #: Dual
NB Frequency: 2127 MHz (was changing slightly by around 1 digit)

Anything else you need?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2010 8:57:18 PM

What you need is the same ram from the same source with the same timings etc, buy a kit,..:) 
m
l
December 16, 2010 8:12:34 PM

The strange thing is now I am able to constantly boot up with 7Gb of RAM. Including the 1GB so its should not be a problem with channels. Perhaps the RAM I moved in not registering still and now its just not creating an error? Help is appreciated.
m
l
!