New build, need the pro's to check over it!

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Here's my second build, my first was my power gaming rig. This one will be mostly for slight gaming, rpg's low graphics type games, surfing, and most importantly OCing! :0 Expecting to buy most of it the end of this weekend.

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
^Own a 850TX.. Love it!

-AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor
^-Unlocked multiplier w/black edition; read that a good amount of these processors can have the 4th core unlocked too! Not to worried if i have quad core or not. It was between this or the AMD Athlon II x3 440..Still deciding.. Hmm Athlon II or Phenom II...Any advice?

-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 100283L Video Card
^Chose this for future-proofness (if that's a word)- can eventually run dual 5770's if i feel like it. Willing to change out the brand for possible a better OC'able brand?

-GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 ATX AMD Motherboard
^Went with the 790FX instead of GX for the future and read the FX has great O/C support for Phenom II processors.

-Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Computer Case
^Didn't want quite as big of a case as my HAF 932. Chose this quickly any other suggestions greatly appreciated! Looking for a great air flow case to keep the PC cool during OC. Also looking for room for future expansion of components etc.

-Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
^Not sure in the difference of the different color names with WD...Was wondering about 6.00Gb/s sata compatibility?

-Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2
^Chose this on a whim, I cant tell which aftermarket heat sinks work with AM3? I have a Scythe Mugen 2 in my other PC and love it, would be nice to buy the same over again.

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

Grand Total: $786.91

I was aiming for around the $700-750 mark; looks like i need to cut back on what i currently have on this list. I still need Ram, i cant seem to decide on which to go with.I already own a 23" dell LCD @ 1920x1080. Do not need speakers, mouse, keyboard.

Solution
Here's a much better build.

107qrl4.png

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Nice balance, on the first three items ...

Unless you are getting a REALLY good deal on that mobo, you may wish to consider an 890 based platform.

Not that HDD ! ... You would likely prefer one with 500GB Platter Tech and perpendicular recording (denser data= better streaming reads) ...
Seagate 7200.12 ... SpinPoint F3 500GB or 1TB .

GPU? ... All I can say is ... "GET THE 5850 IF YOU CAN". ... that's all.

Cooler ??? ... Hyper-212 ... ... ... Hyper ... 212.

AND ... G.Skill RipJaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CAS7 Dual Channel Kit ~$120

= Al =

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
The SinPoint is what i currently have in my other rig, will change to that. I already have a 5850, don't really need something quite that beefy nor can I afford another $300 card. I will definitely look into that cooler and the 890 platform. Thanks!

*edit* do you have a link to an 890 series mobo? Cant seem to find one.

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Bump, still looking for some advice on how to slim down this build, looking to go with a cheaper alternative to the 780fx, thinking the GX might be better. I dont know how else i could trim down the cost to around 700-750$.

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Wow fang, i was just getting ready to post a build almost identical to the one you just posted. I had some down time today to do a lot of reading; had no clue 890gx series was cheaper/better than 790fx until today. Thanks for the build! My only question now is brands. HIS vs Sapphire/ Corsair vs ANTEC. Oh i have so much more to learn :)