Which Motherboard Should I get for a processor?

snipeingkicker

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hi, right now I have the motherboard (12/29/2006-MCP61M-AM-6A61KE11C-00) and I want to change it to a new one that can support the processor (AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition) does any one recommend a motherboard on a budget of $50-$120 that can support it? I just want to at least run games such as Gta IV on High Settings or any other recent game.

My specs are as follows:

Mother Board: 12/29/2006-MCP61M-AM-6A61KE11C-00

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Ram: 3.5 GB

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, 2108 MHz

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0 Build 6000)

Solution
I would look for a 785 chipset board; some use ddr2 and some ddr3, so check the specs carefully. If your vista installation is for an oem system by packard bell, acer, hp, etc. then it may be dependent on using your old motherboard. Original windows installations don't run on different boards for many systems. If you purchased your vista from a retail vender, then you can reuse it. I have used msi and biostar boards lately, but asus and gigabyte are preferred by many. I would also check on warranties for any board you purchase outside of the usa, as some aren't valid in some countries.
I would look for a 785 chipset board; some use ddr2 and some ddr3, so check the specs carefully. If your vista installation is for an oem system by packard bell, acer, hp, etc. then it may be dependent on using your old motherboard. Original windows installations don't run on different boards for many systems. If you purchased your vista from a retail vender, then you can reuse it. I have used msi and biostar boards lately, but asus and gigabyte are preferred by many. I would also check on warranties for any board you purchase outside of the usa, as some aren't valid in some countries.

Solution
Not much for sale in the usa right now. I subscribe to newegg's email promos and check their daily shellshocker specials. Get one with the hdmi port for a few dollars more. Micro atx boards should fit if your case is a standard acer desktop. You don't even list a budget, but some of these boards have been as low as $59.95 shipped.

you definitely need to upgrade your graphics card if you want to run a game like gta 4 moderately. along with that you'll most likely need a new power supply, so if you want to get into modern gaming on decently high setting you are looking at around $200 on top of the new mobo.