My SSD could set a record for slow speeds!

mackzach

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I've had my SSD since about a month after it's release. I'm using the Intel SSD 320 120GB with the latest firmware. I'm running:

Gigabyte x58-USB3
i7-930 OC'd to 3.6GHZ
6GBs of RAM

I followed the SSD guide from the other thread (http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/) and I still cannot get better results that what is listed here:

NXIUL.png

I'm playing Blacklight Retribution and you can unlock certain armor by being able to break 10k in their hard drive test, however, I've never been able to break 4k, and yes, the game is installed on the SSD.

What on earth am I doing wrong? Do I just have a dud? I've been lurking for a while, I'd greatly appreciate any input.

No, your drive appears to operating normally.

Advertised speeds for your drive are "up to" 270MB/s Read and 130MB/s Write.
You are getting 90% of advertised Reads and 97% of advertised Writes.

X58 chipset based motherboards do not have native 6Gb/s ports. They use 3rd party Marvell for their 6Gb/s ports.
The Marvell 9128 controller on your motherboard has a maximum data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 500MB/s.

There's not much more you can do to increase performance with your current motherboard chipset.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Also try switching off C1 and any other CPU power states at your BIOS. It has proven in the past to affect SSD speeds.

It sounds crazy how a CPU power state could affect the drive's performance, but... it does in some cases! I am sure there must be an explanation, but unfortunately I don't have it. I just know it works. Give it a try.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I recently purchased a Samsung 830 256GB SSD that is supposed to operate at 500MB/s R/W but my eVGA X58-E758 board doesn't have any SATA III support so I am getting about 250MB/s R/W with the Intel SATA II ports.

The speed is still double that of my mechanical drive which achieved about 100MB/s R/W. You shouldn't notice much of a difference between your speeds and faster drives, especially in games. I would really like to upgrade to IB but with D3 coming out and my system having no problem with that, I don't foresee any upgrades in the future because I don't really need to for D3.