Sign in with
Your question

Pin Soldered Off

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2010 11:05:09 PM

Okay, my friend gave me an old AMD motherboard. I was going to try to do a 'build a pc in a cardboard box' sorta thing. Anyway, I needed a power switch. Got some copper wire and a button at radioshack, and started soldering the ends onto the pins. However, I fucked up. So, I tried to solder the solder off the pins, and when I was done I guess I soldered off one of the pins (lolwhat). Anyway, what do I do now D:

Also, I breathed in alot of those fumes. I think I'm dying D:!

More about : pin soldered

a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 8:00:28 AM

Pins from the mobo or the switch? :lol: 
Those fumes are not mean't for intake :na:  your better off with pot :D ...can we have a pic of what you TRYING to do?
m
l
December 7, 2010 9:46:53 AM

Lutfij said:
Pins from the mobo or the switch? :lol: 
Those fumes are not mean't for intake :na:  your better off with pot :D ...can we have a pic of what you TRYING to do?

The pin on the mobo, and one on the switch lol. Anyway, I don't have a fan in my room, so I can't exactly NOT breath it in :/ . I'm trying to solder two wires onto the two pins for the power switch on the motherboard, then solder those to the button.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 9:50:05 AM

I'm sure you can get a header for your mobo pins instead of soldering them on...quick question: soldering disperses heat, wheres that heat going to? your mobo might show malfunction...or worse not start... :o  :/ 

go to www.mnpctech.com they have great modding supplies for a good price...and there's a blog/forum you can join

the switch pins: http://www.mnpctech.com/2_PIN_Mobo_Motherboard_Connecto...
m
l
December 7, 2010 10:08:15 AM

Lutfij said:
I'm sure you can get a header for your mobo pins instead of soldering them on...quick question: soldering disperses heat, wheres that heat going to? your mobo might show malfunction...or worse not start... :o  :/ 

go to www.mnpctech.com they have great modding supplies for a good price...and there's a blog/forum you can join

the switch pins: http://www.mnpctech.com/2_PIN_Mobo_Motherboard_Connecto...

YES that switch pin was what I needed. A dumbshit on another forum said to just solder on wires.... however now that one of the pins are broken off on the mobo I probably can't use that. FUUUUUUU. I think I'm fucked now :|
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 10:14:00 AM

:/  :na:  thers a solution to almost ALL problems...nope you can't use the pin+wires...solder it back on again :) 
m
l
December 7, 2010 10:15:36 AM

Lutfij said:
:/ :na:  thers a solution to almost ALL problems...nope you can't use the pin+wires...solder it back on again :) 

Solder the pin on again? The pin got melted off. Only one though. Very strange.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 10:18:01 AM

yeah thas cos of the heat - i told you so. What can you do now, the board won't trun on...
m
l
December 7, 2010 10:19:57 AM

Lutfij said:
yeah thas cos of the heat - i told you so. What can you do now, the board won't trun on...

I was thinking of soldering ONE wire to one pin on the front of the motherboard, the second one on the back. But before I can try that I must remove the solder that I couldn't get off, and I don't have wick or de-soldering tools. :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 10:27:22 AM

Then wait until you get them...until then, do some research regarding your mod/build before going head first. This way, precious hardware stay precious :) 

btw , you didn't post a pic of what you have going through your head...
m
l
December 7, 2010 10:36:57 AM

Lutfij said:
Then wait until you get them...until then, do some research regarding your mod/build before going head first. This way, precious hardware stay precious :) 

btw , you didn't post a pic of what you have going through your head...

Well, I already know what I'm doing. I had it working before, however there was a short somewhere so whenever I turned it on via the button I got, it would turn off in a few seconds. I tried to un-solder without a un-soldering tool, and I fucked it up. Also, I got this mobo and cpu from a friend for free, I could care less if it doesn't work, it's only an AMD Duron. Hence why I was making it in a box. I don't have a good enough camera to take a pic of the pins, but I do have a video recorded from my iPod of the first test run of this PC. Will post.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 10:41:59 AM

k...AMD duron

I think its in a better place now :D 
m
l
December 7, 2010 10:50:03 AM

Lutfij said:
k...AMD duron

I think its in a better place now :D 

Stupid question, but can an AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz with enough ram (like 2-4 gigs DDR) run windows 7? xD

I was planning on using this box for linux. It'll sadden me if I can't D:

First test, you can see my jumper button on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cevhyl93e68

Also, I re-soldered it due to it turning off. That's when the pin went bye-bye
m
l
December 7, 2010 12:20:52 PM

Great news, I had an MSI board that caught fire a few weeks ago. I JUST got the RMA back like ten mins ago, and they sent me a brand new P55M-GD41 mobo. Let me explain

I was planning on building a pc for my parents, and so that's why I was trying to get the Duron working. :3

Anyway, is it worth the hassle to try to get this mobo working? Or can someone find me the cheapest LGA 1156 socket, 250-500GB hard drive, and 2-4GB DDR3 ram to build that mobo... I have a spare NZXT M59 case. :p 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 12:24:40 PM

what is your budget?

i think you should start another thread and i'll come over - provided you post here what the thread is :)  by then i'll have one quoted for you...
m
l
December 7, 2010 12:32:54 PM

Posted the thread "LF Cheapest Parts Around :x" in systems>new builds
m
l
December 7, 2010 2:23:51 PM

Okay, now this is very strange. I wanted to test something. I removed all the wires, but there is still solder on the pins. The second I turn the switch on the PSU to on, the mobo starts, but then turns off. Is the solder like turning it on, then still holding it so it turns off? because there is a like 3 second delay.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 2:29:22 PM

Nope the mobo by default is supposed to power on after the PSU is switched on. then shuts off. Get a magnifying glass and note if there is any solder between the two mobo start pins. That could also leave the pc on , and the only way to shut it down is to turn the PSU off.
m
l
December 7, 2010 2:32:43 PM

Lutfij said:
Nope the mobo by default is supposed to power on after the PSU is switched on. then shuts off. Get a magnifying glass and note if there is any solder between the two mobo start pins. That could also leave the pc on , and the only way to shut it down is to turn the PSU off.

Okay, going to put new thermal paste on, and see what happens.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 2:35:19 PM

clean off the excess solder around the board pins
m
l
December 7, 2010 2:41:31 PM

Okay, this is strange. Like, very strange. Leave everything alone, turn on PSU, turns on, turns off. Can't start it with screwdrivers. Take ANY stick of ram out, turn on psu, won't start. Screwdriver does nothing.

Also yes, there is some solder still there. :[
m
l
December 7, 2010 2:41:59 PM

Also, I don't have the tools to clean off the solder. Must buy.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 2:47:51 PM

The soldering material leaves a coat outside, its an oxide that nulls your screwdriver. I hope you haven't fried the mobo power onput with the solders heat...it shouldn't be, get the solder cleaned off then run tests on it, otherwise your backyard science will be in vain as it might end up being a dud.

:) 
m
l
December 7, 2010 2:50:52 PM

Lutfij said:
The soldering material leaves a coat outside, its an oxide that nulls your screwdriver. I hope you haven't fried the mobo power onput with the solders heat...it shouldn't be, get the solder cleaned off then run tests on it, otherwise your backyard science will be in vain as it might end up being a dud.

:) 

Oh okay. What tools, where find, preferably rad shack, and how much :<
m
l
December 7, 2010 7:41:03 PM

Okay, just got the turky baster aka solder remover. I removed any extra solder, tried to turn on by touching one pin on top to the other on bottom, turned on. TOok a couple tried though. Soldered it up, won't turn on. Am I missing something?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 7:59:39 PM

the solder is a form of oxide right? all oxides form a layer of protective coating taht prevens a contact...well at least the solder is finding its way to the root of the mobo pin contact on the pcb...thus negating your connection.

pulled this off the wiki link: haven't you been reading the links?
An improperly selected or applied flux can cause joint failure, or if not properly cleaned off the joint, may corrode the metals in the joint over time and cause eventual joint failure. Without flux the joint may not be clean, or may be oxidized, resulting in an unsound joint.
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:07:56 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHA I FIXED IT. Those stupid asshole's misprinted the labeling. After testing I found out the combination of using the top left pin on top, and the second to left pin from right (the broken one) on the bottom together powers it on, and stays on. now, must go buy another button and wire up. :D 
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:20:07 PM

However no picture :[. I don't think the graphics card is dead, it was working before. I re-seated it, re-plugged in the VGA cable, nothing. Does a mobo need to have a hard drive in to show any picture? :/ .

Also the wires won't turn it off if I hold them together long enough. D:
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 8:30:07 PM

My advice is to find someone who knows which end of the soldering iron to pick up.
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:35:46 PM

ram1009 said:
My advice is to find someone who knows which end of the soldering iron to pick up.

I know how to solder. My soldering is fine this time since I got the right pins, as I said it sort of worked the first time but since I used that pin, it would turn off in a few seconds.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 8:42:07 PM

Mutated, you shoudl mind your lang around the forums bro, or you could be banned. The last thread had censoring on it actively :p  like this*****

first the mobo will post, thas the display your talking about. Even if you don;t have HDD , your screen should show up and say enter setup to get to BIOS...blah blah
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:45:40 PM

Lutfij said:
Mutated, you shoudl mind your lang around the forums bro, or you could be banned. The last thread had censoring on it actively :p  like this*****

On the What the **** Blew thread? yeah, I put the *'s there myself. :3. Anyway, you're right lol. However when I deal with computers for over 2 days and can't find the problem I tend to get frusturated xD.

So I was thinking what happened with the board is:
1) The soldering screwed it up somehow
2) Static electricity got the best of it since I was moving it around alot in my room, and since it has carpet and I'm barefoot... yeah....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2010 8:51:33 PM

trust me, its active... i don't need to hit (shift+8)=*

Quote:
However when I deal with computers for over 2 days and can't find the problem I tend to get frusturated xD.
google your problem and you'll find tonnes of solutions

I told you so...
Quote:
Then wait until you get them...until then, do some research regarding your mod/build before going head first. This way, precious hardware stay precious
so now your duron is bye bye :) 
m
l
December 7, 2010 8:57:35 PM

Lutfij said:
trust me, its active... i don't need to hit (shift+8)=*

Quote:
However when I deal with computers for over 2 days and can't find the problem I tend to get frusturated xD.
google your problem and you'll find tonnes of solutions

I told you so...
Quote:
Then wait until you get them...until then, do some research regarding your mod/build before going head first. This way, precious hardware stay precious
so now your duron is bye bye :) 

Yeah I know the censoring is active, but I meant in that thread title I was aware that I was typing 'that' word, so I starred it out myself. Anyway, I know I can google the solution, but I usually do, and nothing usually works. Example, how was I supposed to find the solution to what blew on my motherboard? xD.

Anyway, RIP Duron. I'll always remember you as the little monster who drove me insane for two days trying to get you to work. *sniff sniff*. He's in a better place D:!.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:24:07 AM

When all the cables are soldered & cooled, it can help stabilize the header if you slide the plastic strip as far away from the solder join as possible. The most convenient way to do this is to put the header,wire assembly on the table with the cables experiencing straight up.
m
l
!