Rename Devices in XP

Guys,

We are setting up a box with a number of USB devices (video streams),
but the software used to manage them can only tune the first instance
because all of the devices have the same name (they all show in Device
Manager) - is there any way we can rename these devices so that they
are unique???

Thanks

Ivan
isanders@ozemail.com.au
2 answers Last reply
More about rename devices

    isanders@ozemail.com.au (Ivan Sanders) wrote:

    >We are setting up a box with a number of USB devices (video streams),
    >but the software used to manage them can only tune the first instance
    >because all of the devices have the same name (they all show in Device
    >Manager) - is there any way we can rename these devices so that they
    >are unique???

    I have not found a way yet to change a device name in the Device
    Manager.

    --
    (tm)

    You can not change the name, as the device name is part of the config file
    in the hardware that windows reads during P&P detection.

    "Ivan Sanders" <isanders@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > Guys,
    >
    > We are setting up a box with a number of USB devices (video streams),
    > but the software used to manage them can only tune the first instance
    > because all of the devices have the same name (they all show in Device
    > Manager) - is there any way we can rename these devices so that they
    > are unique???
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ivan
    > isanders@ozemail.com.au