Overclock vs Turbo

Wondering what's the difference between overclocking and turbo. In the bios system, I can set the my cpu to turbo to any number just by increasing the multiplier, but of course it's bad to turbo really high. People usually disable turbo when they overclock, but when I disable turbo my GHz stays at the same number. When I enable turbo, my GHz stays low on idle but it increases under load. Shouldn't turbo be better since it won't draw as much energy in idle than overclock but it'll still have the same speed under load?

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Turbo is when your processor boosts its clock speeds automatically to higher leavels... This only happens when your CPU is under load and the max Turbo depends on the CPU...

Overclocking is when you increase the multiplier to to get higher clock speeds all time which means better performance... you can overclock to 4Ghz or 5Ghz or even higher if you have great CPU cooler...

But using the Asus m5a97 motherboard, I can turbo to whatever speed. If I set turbo to "enable" an option pops up under and theres a number in a box. I can change the number and I realized that the number is the same thing as the multiplier. I have turbo on "19" right now which brings my fx-6300 to 4.1ghz under load. I can change the number to 20 which brings my ghz to 4.3 even though the fx-6300 says 3.5gz (turbo 4.1ghz)