Sign in with
Your question

SSD Cashe vs OS install

Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2012 12:49:21 AM

I have a gaming laptop with two drive bays and only one 750GB drive. I would like to improve I/O with an Intel 330 60GB SSD. My question is, do I need to reinstall Winodws and apps on the SSD as a C drive to get good performance or would cacheing the 750GB be good enough?

I like the idea of not having to reinstall Windows, not having my free space split between two drives, and being able to optimize my frequent files no matter were they are located. I am just worried caching might be one of those things that should work great in theory but really doesn't.

Also, what are the motherboard/chipset requirments? I am pretty sure my MSI 863 supports it, but need to validate that.

More about : ssd cashe install

a b G Storage
May 4, 2012 1:48:31 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by caching. Always interested in learning, so if you have a link, please supply that.

My take (ignoring my first comment) would be to reinstall on to the SSD. Having your OS on an SSD is like no other. You'll never do anything else afterwards. :) 
Further, install 1 or several commonly used apps/games to the SSD, keeping the rule of thumb in mind: "keep 30-35% capacity free at all times".
That rule of thumb is not only for performance reasons, but to insure the SSD lasts several years.
Then use the HDD for the less commonly used apps and music/pics/etc.

Maybe caching you mean that 750 is a Seagate momentus that has NAND/SSD cache on board? If this is the case, my above statement still applies. However in this case, those "less used apps" will benefit from the caching mechanism, giving you better performance.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 4, 2012 2:27:04 AM

SRT should be supported thru the Z68 chipset. SB laptops may use the H series, or the Z chipset. On way to tel if it should work is to check the Bios settings for the HDD, If you can nto set to Raid then the answer is No, if you can set the Bios to raid, then answer = Most likely.

You have me by the short hairs. Not a lover of SRT when the SSD is large enough to install the OS + Programs. Every artical discussing SRT, the booto0m line has been if SSD islarge emough to load OS + programs - THAT IS THE WAY to go. While 60 Gigs is listed as the Min, I prefer an 80+ Gig SSD for OS +Programs.
Remember 60 gig formated is closer to 56 Gigs and when used as an OS +Program drive you're now down to about 50 gigs. This is FINE as long as you Know that you have to monitor your space usage.

Steps for SRT.
Procedure:
1) Plug your caching SSD and storage HD (the one to accelerate) into the Intel SATA ports. Do not use 3rd party like Marvel, it will not work.
2) Enter BIOS, change HD mode to RAID
3) Install OS
4) DL the latest RST driver from Intel. Dont bother installing from mb disk, it will be outdated. Grab it here.
5) Open RST utility, go to accelerate tab
6) Enable acceleration, select your OS/storage drive as the accelerated drive, select enhanced or maximized mode. Enhanced is the most secure, maximized is the fastest.
7) Reboot. If you get a message about boot options being changed or something and are unable to boot into windows go to the BIOS and check your HD priority. It often gets changed when caching is implemented so you just have to put your OS HD back at the top.

m
l
Related resources
a c 99 G Storage
May 4, 2012 2:29:32 AM

No OS re-install IF you set up the SSD cacheing option. The cache option will start remembering what you do the most, and "cache" this data for faster loads.

You set your SATA ports to RAID, don't set up any arrays, and then install and run Intel Smart Responce Technology (iRST). You'll set up the SSD cache drive in there.

You can get the iRST from the Intel website. You'll need to know what chipset you have. It has to be Z68 or higher for a desktop. I don't know about laptops.

Anyway, I'd install the OS on the SSD, and use the HDD for your "Librairies." THe cache option does speed up booting and application launching, but not as much if it was all just on the SSD. But, 60GB is a bit tight for OS/Programs/Games.

Is "MSI 863" the laptop model, or the motherboard in the laptop?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2012 2:32:29 AM

^ Feeling really thick right now, what is SRT? I'm not being sarcastic, and I've googled a fair amount... all I'm seeing is Sports Racing Technology. I'm sure you mean something else being the Chief.
Honestly, I'm trying to learn here. :) 

EDIT: if you meant RST, I get it, and that is something I need to do homework on... Thanks for the better replies then me
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
May 4, 2012 3:11:38 AM

iRST = Intel Rapid Storage Tech. (for RAID)

iSRT = Intel Smart Responce Tech. (for cache-ing)

Kinda the same thing.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2012 3:22:32 AM

^ that 'i' is important there... found relevant stuff. Doing my homework now. Thank you! :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2012 3:24:38 AM

sphbecker said:
I have a gaming laptop with two drive bays and only one 750GB drive. I would like to improve I/O with an Intel 330 60GB SSD. My question is, do I need to reinstall Winodws and apps on the SSD as a C drive to get good performance or would cacheing the 750GB be good enough?

I like the idea of not having to reinstall Windows, not having my free space split between two drives, and being able to optimize my frequent files no matter were they are located. I am just worried caching might be one of those things that should work great in theory but really doesn't.

Also, what are the motherboard/chipset requirments? I am pretty sure my MSI 863 supports it, but need to validate that.

i dont think that laptops can use ssds as a cache drive.

just clone your hdd to your ssd.
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:01:59 AM

Just to clarify, when switching to SSD cacheing do I place both the HDD and SSD to raid or just the SSD. Intels instructions aren’t to clear on this.

Both my drives are currently AHIC, I know I can make the switch in registry so no need to reload OS.
m
l
!