Old or New Harddrive question ?

tinsley6512

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Im getting ready to change out my AMD based system this weekend with a SB CPU and a new Motherboard and RAM.
Ive also picked up a 2 TB external to setup on my network to copy my media files over to before I do a clean install
of the OS wich Im guessing is the best route, right ?Checking my hardrives model # in windows shows it to be a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM 750 GB drive. I could have sworn it was a Hitachi drive. Anyway my question is would I be better off getting a newer drive ie would I notice the difference in speed for apps and everyday use or on games with newer hardware/drive. Also im seeing alot of remarks about SSDs being used as the boot drive and for the main apps or games. Im considering the options and any input or suggestions regarding upgrading of or keeping my old drive would be appreciated. This drive is the slowest part of my system according to the cheesy windows
performance rating.
Thanks.

Solution
D
You would do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. Don't even plug the old drive in until Windows is installed and up and running. Then when you plug in the old drive format it like you would any new drive.

Back up everything you have to keep to a thumb drive or an external drive or even burn it to DVD. Then just transfer the info back to the old storage drive.
D

Deleted member 217926

In my opinion the best thing you can do is get a ~120GB SSD for Windows and your programs and use the old Seagate for storage. I have an older OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD with Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Office 2007, various programs and about 10 games on it and I have about 30GB free.

The Samsung 830 series, any Intel SSD and the Crucial M4 are among the most reliable and fastest. I would get a Samsung if I was buying new today.

tinsley6512

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
If I go with an SSD will I still need to wipe my old drive ? Seems like it would still be full of the wrong drivers and bad registry from its previous life in my AMD system.

D

Deleted member 217926

You would do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. Don't even plug the old drive in until Windows is installed and up and running. Then when you plug in the old drive format it like you would any new drive.

Back up everything you have to keep to a thumb drive or an external drive or even burn it to DVD. Then just transfer the info back to the old storage drive.

Solution