PC won't boot with two RAMS

chuckycheese

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hello,I'm a noob. I'm like a person with a car and if something happen to it, doesn't know how to fix it. I need some guidance on fixing my pc.

My old ram modules got replace, because one is broken, I think. But it wont work when two ram modules are place on the motherboard.

Motherboard: ASUS M2N MX SE PLUS

RAM: (2) DDR2 PC2-6400 OCZ Reaper HPC
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_cl4_4gb_edition

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
then whats ram # 1?

usually a problem like this means ram 1 an d ram 2 have two different timings..causing your mobo to hickup.

So lemme get this straight: you had a dual channel kit and now ,cos one malfunctioned, replaced only on stick of the same brand/model?

well, now you have sticks with different serial numbers and in essence a mismatch in batch number, manufacturing tech, temps, and timings etc. Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Make sure

(1) you have fitted the RAM sticks both properly and in the correct slots on the motherboard.

(2) the voltages of the two RAM sticks are equal. The timings are not so important because motherboard will operate the RAM sticks at the lowest values.

Lutfij

Titan
the voltages of the two RAM sticks are equal. The timings are not so important because motherboard will operate the RAM sticks at the lowest values.
knock on jaquith on the forum's and he'll give you a better understanding of ram timings..its not that easy while matching two rams of different serials/batch/silicon density etc....

@ OP - is this the exact model number of your kit?
4GB (2x2048) D/C Kit PN - OCZ2RPR800C44GK

if it is indeed your modules...that ram model is nowhere to be found in the ASUS M2N MX SE PLUS' Qualified Vendor List (QVL) @ Asus. Furthermore, your mobo supports 800MHz dimms if they are in 1x2GB modules, only one manufacturer listed in QVL is supported by your board @ 800MHz:
Apacer - AHU02GE800C5N1C - 4GB (2x2GB) kit

as you won't find it, get another set of rams @ 667MHz, possibly this set:
ADATA - M2OAD5G3I4176I1C52 - 4GB (2X2GB)KIT

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
No. You are incorrect. The voltages are more important. Why ?

Assume you have one RAM stick that operates at 1.4 V and another RAM stick that operates at 1.9 V. At what volts is the motherboard supposed to run the RAM sticks ? If at 1.4 V, one RAM stick will not operate. If at 1.9 V, one RAM stick will burn.

So what ?

Lutfij

Titan
so QVL's/ram timings mean nothing to you...if you've noticed OP has an AMD processor, that 1.9V limitaion you pointed out is what Core2's and core i's had a conflict with...AMD never posted of any ram voltage issues.Thus intel came out with the 1.65V ram limitation for its core i's. The only reason they poosted such things is cos the ram manufacturers want their rams to sell for either amd or intel platforms.

All rams designated for AMD should run at 1.8~1.9V or below...its a good spectrum for voltages.

chuckycheese

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Both RAM modules are the same, even though only one is broken, they replaced both my RAM modules.

Make sure

(1) you have fitted the RAM sticks both properly and in the correct slots on the motherboard.

(2) the voltages of the two RAM sticks are equal. The timings are not so important because motherboard will operate the RAM sticks at the lowest values.

Both RAM modules are properly installed
The voltage is set to AUTO in the bios.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Setting the RAM voltage at Auto does not guarantee the motherboard can supply different voltages to each RAM slot if RAM operating volatges of the RAM sticks are quite different.

Therefore, please give us the specs of the unknown RAM stick which you may call

RAM: (1) ?????

RAM (2) is known in your post. RAM: (2) DDR2 PC2-6400 OCZ Reaper HPC

chuckycheese

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Both RAM modules are the same and yes the settings of the voltage in the bios is Auto. I tried changing it to 2.2V which is the requirement of the RAM modules, but still the same, won't boot with two rams on it.

Lutfij

Titan

Your mobo is having trouble swallowing the rams as your mobo doesn't support those modules. I checked and double checked this info out...same result everytime. Your wasting time, posting back and forth for an obvious problem. YOUR RAMS NEED A CHANGE. IF you really determined to make OCZ's work on your board, you'd need 2x1GB modules not 2x2GB - so get reapers gut of a 2GB kit

Also see if you can get a hold of the adata or apacer modules as mentioned in your mobo manual.

chuckycheese

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Your mobo is having trouble swallowing the rams as your mobo doesn't support those modules. I checked and double checked this info out...same result everytime. Your wasting time, posting back and forth for an obvious problem. YOUR RAMS NEED A CHANGE. IF you really determined to make OCZ's work on your board, you'd need 2x1GB modules not 2x2GB - so get reapers gut of a 2GB kit

Also see if you can get a hold of the adata or apacer modules as mentioned in your mobo manual.

MOBO is dead, it won't boot at all, even with one RAM module on it. I also tried my old kingston 1GB RAM (ram that came with the barebone kit) and it was working, then I turned the PC off, left the house and came back, opened the PC, it won't start at all.

chuckycheese

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

Btw, I'm planning to buy a new mobo and I'm buying this one, I think it's compatible with my new ram and processor, I just need to make sure, can you please check if it's compatible, thank you.

MOBOs
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5235299&CatId=2320
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5508969&CatId=2320

PROCESSOR
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4291642&sku=CP2-AM2-5000&srkey=cp2-am2-5000

RAM
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_cl4_4gb_edition

TRENDING THREADS