Power went off in my house. I turned my PC back on after...

Deadwing

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
..and then my computer turned off/restarted. So that tells me it's something to do with my pc and not the power in the house, obviously.

I was loading up WoW when it turned off the second time. When I rebooted it again, I loaded Just Cause, and it didn't shut off, but a popup came up that said something about changing to basic windows 7 colors because my performance was slow.

59º c at idle according to CCC, and the vents in my case are blowing cool air out.

I'm running WoW now, and I don't notice any dip in performance.

Should I be afraid?

Solution
a surge could blow anything and anywhere. Generally a fuse goes or the PSU itself but it is possible that one of your Ram modules were fried if it said that your performance was slow. Run memtest and if that checks out ok, try a hard drive scan, could be that your pagefile.sys file was corrupted also. if that checks out try running cpu-z or another monitoring software to see if everything performs up to scratch

jcpwn3r

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
does all the power in your house keep going out or does the PC keep turning off with your house's power on?

If you didn't have your comp plugged into a surge protector or if you don't have a quality PSU you may have fried something

Deadwing

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have it plugged into a power brick, I'm not sure if it's a surge protector or not.
And it was just my computer that turned off the 2nd time. Everything else was fine. I shut it down and it installed Windows Updates. I opened it up, the fan on the CPU, case, PSU, and GPU are all spinning and nothing is overheated. It's running fairly quiet right now.

Would a power surge outright burn things, or would they slowly stop working? Because as of now, all my components seem to be working. I've gotten a few weird messages, like the one when I test-ran Just cause 2 (in my first post) and when I tried to turn it on after opening it up, it was trying to run startup something or over, never seen it before.
It told me to turn it off because it couldn't fix whatever it was trying to, so i did, and it booted up normal (after configuring the windows updates it installed before turning off the computer to open it up)

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
a surge could blow anything and anywhere. Generally a fuse goes or the PSU itself but it is possible that one of your Ram modules were fried if it said that your performance was slow. Run memtest and if that checks out ok, try a hard drive scan, could be that your pagefile.sys file was corrupted also. if that checks out try running cpu-z or another monitoring software to see if everything performs up to scratch

Solution