Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Silverstone Strider Pro vs Corsair TX 750W

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2010 4:24:04 AM

Since I'm having issues with my current power supply (a venerable Antec TP3-650), I'm in the market for a new one.

In particular, I want to get a reliable 750W PSU in the more affordable bracket. (ideally under $140)

After reading quite a few reviews, I believe I've narrowed it down to two options:

1. The [http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?affiliateid=4352...]Corsair TX750[/url] @ $109.99 CAD (before $10 MIR, but that's meh)

2. The Silverstone Strider 750 Plus, which I can price-match down to $118.54

So my dilemna is that based on the reviews I've seen, the Silverstone PSU has better parts/performance. Also, it's fully modular, which is a nice bonus if not really essential. Based on those features alone, the Strider seems like a good deal for only $10 more.

On the other hand, I understand that the TX750 is really good quality as well, and it is backed by a 5 year warranty, compared with 1 year (in Canada) for Silverstone. Since I've experienced the frustration of a failing power supply, that makes me more inclined to go with Corsair.

Please give me your opinions about this choice. What have your experiences been with these two companies and their products?

I'm also open to suggestions of other power supplies in this price range. Please base your pricing info on the Canadian market, and available at NCIX is ideal. If there is a strong case for splurging on the HX750 (which would cost me $151), I'm willing to hear it.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2010 5:08:38 AM

Well, you've pretty much summed up your arguments very well. It's all a matter of personal opinion and anyone who gives you advice between the two will just be personal opinion. For example, I would go with the silverstone because I like the modular design and don't really care too much about warranties past one year in most cases. Then again, I've never had a PSU fail.

So really, it's up to you. Warranty or modular? And it is true, Corsair has a better reputation.

And umm... you made both the link to the corsair and to the silverstone links to the silverstone.

Personally, I would go with this one:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456&vpn=OC...

Less expensive. Modular. Good quality. Quiet. 3 year warranty. Will provide the same power as a 600W corsair on the +12V rails. Which is enough unless you changed something in your system. The Antec Basic power models are low end. Any good quality 600W PSU is more than good enough unless you changed something in your system. I have the 600W version with my Athlon IIx4 and radeon 3870. I know it's way overkill but I got it on a good deal from NCIX for $40 after MIR.

If you want a modular corsair with their warranty in that pricerange, get this. It will be enough:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42532&vpn=CMPSU-650HX...
June 11, 2010 3:02:12 PM

Thanks, enzo - between the two of them I think I would go with the Corsair HX650, since reviews of that OCZ model are lukewarm and critically, I believe its cables may be too short for my large-ish bottom-mounted case.

Regarding the wattage amount, you make a good point that 650 is clearly enough for my current build. However, I'd like to leave room for a 4 GHz 1090T, dual 5870's and 2 or 3 hard drives. (not happening anytime soon, but I'd like to have the option when those parts become more affordable.) Plus I have like 7 fans running atm. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that 650w would be inadequate for that. (?)

In pursuit of that, I'm looking at a third option that I hadn't seen before - the Antec TP-750. It's modular-ish, has excellent performance and a new platform (I've seen several people recommend it over the HX650), it has a three year warranty and Antec has a good reputation for service. I can price-match it down to $110, before a $20 MIR. Admittedly it's not as pretty or modular, but it does have nice long cords and some headroom for future upgrades.

What do you think?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2010 3:52:00 PM

vainglorious11 said:
Regarding the wattage amount, you make a good point that 650 is clearly enough for my current build. However, I'd like to leave room for a 4 GHz 1090T, dual 5870's and 2 or 3 hard drives. (not happening anytime soon, but I'd like to have the option when those parts become more affordable.) Plus I have like 7 fans running atm. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that 650w would be inadequate for that. (?)

2 5870s=376W
1090t at 4GHz couldn't be over 140W
hard drives=10W each
total I cannot see exceeding 550W. the corsaid 650 has something like 630W on the +12V rails for those parts.

vainglorious11 said:
In pursuit of that, I'm looking at a third option that I hadn't seen before - the Antec TP-750. It's modular-ish, has excellent performance and a new platform (I've seen several people recommend it over the HX650), it has a three year warranty and Antec has a good reputation for service. I can price-match it down to $110, before a $20 MIR. Admittedly it's not as pretty or modular, but it does have nice long cords and some headroom for future upgrades.

What do you think?

I haven't heard anything about it so I am unsure.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2010 9:12:14 PM

Odd.....I had no idea that their warranty was only 1 year in CAN. Purely from a consumer standpoint, that warranty period would be very important to me.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
June 11, 2010 9:35:53 PM

Quote:

The Antec is pretty nice too, and it has an extra 24Ws on the 12v, but you have that stupid EPS 8-pin hanging and its a odd-grey color.

His motherboard has an 8 pin connector, so he could leave the stupid 4 pin hanging.
Don't understand why the heck Antec didn't just use a 4+4.
PS; it's a charcoal grey, not unpleasant to look at, if you're into that.
m
l
June 12, 2010 1:59:30 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback. If the hx650 is adequate for future expansions, then i'm leaning toward that. According to the packaging, it also has a 7 year warranty which is amazing. Also, it matches my color scheme and the flat cables are sexy. I think I can get it for about 130 so that's not too bad. It does feel a bit like paying more for less though since the 750w units are $20 less.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:22:22 AM

Update: according to Extreme Power Supply Calculator, my hypothetical upgrades would require about 750W. It would be a real pain to limit myself, so I think I'll stick with a 750W PSU.

Update 2: It looks like NCIX listed the wrong warranty length on their site for the Silverstone PSU. It actually has a three-year warranty.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:25:27 AM

So what I'm saying is that Silverstone is back in the mix and looking pretty good (80 Plus and full modular for same price). It still has the shortest warranty of any of them, and I find it a little weird that it has no power switch. Why would they do that?
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:45:27 AM

Best answer selected by vainglorious11.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:49:32 AM

REVISION: After a blinding flash of realism, I came to terms with the fact that I will probably never need or be able to justify dual 5870's. Even with dual 5850's, a solid 650W will be enough. Just ordered the HX650 and I think we'll be very happy together. Thank you all for your advice. :) 
m
l
!