SATA not recognized

antiyoupunk

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Here's my story....

Recently, i was at a lan party and installing unreal from a usb drive. Massive failure led me to believe the controller on my hdd blew. bought a new hdd, and while I was waiting i tried to start my computer and it worked!!! a few days later, failed again. hdd showed up, and board would,nt see drive. tried a few old drives and found that none would work, so bought a new cpu/mb. installed new cpu/mb with intermittent moments where things worked. new cpu and hdd behave the same. swapped out all memory one-by-one, no sucess. thinking maybe psu, but desperatelt hoping someone here will have another idea. sorry for crappy post, posting on my wife's laptop with half the keys missing.

thanks for any help

Solution
Sounds like you could have a bad PSU that nuke more than 1 HDD... lets hope not.

In tangent or separate, memtest is the best thing you can use to test RAM. 2nd to none for testing RAM. For hard to find errors/problems, run for 10-16hrs per module/kit-of-2

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
wow +1 for posting from wife's laptop, +2 doing so with half the keys missing. :)

You gotta go to basics for this troubleshooting. You've replaced/bought-new most parts. Stick with mobo, cpu, GPU and 1 stick of RAM.
Maybe from your wife's computer create a USB or CD Ubuntu drive that runs from the CD or USB for testing purposes (to remove the HDDs from the equation).

Swap parts till you find the culprit

Don't forget to reset the CMOS from the beginning.

Probably not that PSU.

What about SATA cables, are they loose?

I had that problem earlier this year.

Thougfh it was power, but with a SATA splitter, it still happened.

I got OKGear SATA III cables w/locking metal latches, AND new SSDs. Solved it. The new ones "locked" together better.

I got a new modular PSU anyway for cleaner install in a new case.

If you moved your case to a LAN party, could be loose cables. Didn't take much to wiggle them loose, and I don't move my case.

antiyoupunk

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Ive tried a couple sata cables, and across two mb with the same results. new mb originally recognised all 3 of my drives, rebooted and they were gone.

did reset bios a few times, again, accross two mb...

really ive replaced/tested everything that's connected besides the gpu and psu

thank you guys for the replies, while I wait on more i will get ubuntu running to test my ram more thouroughly

ps - bad spelling + bad keyboard == omg

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Sounds like you could have a bad PSU that nuke more than 1 HDD... lets hope not.

In tangent or separate, memtest is the best thing you can use to test RAM. 2nd to none for testing RAM. For hard to find errors/problems, run for 10-16hrs per module/kit-of-2

Solution