Question about powerlines

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm fed up with the rather low speed and especially poor reliability that my wireless router offers, so I'm looking for alternatives. The distance is far too great for a wire, so that's not an option (sadly...).

It seems that powerlines is the best alternative in my case. However, the first floor (where my desktop is) and the ground floor (where the router is) are on different power circuits (I hope you get what I mean, English is a third language so my knowledge of electricity terminology is rather poor). Many articles I found on the net say this makes powerlines impossible, yet on many forums it is said that it's possible with more recent equipment.

So who's right? And if it's possible, are there things I need to know?

PS: I hope this is in the right board...

G

Having tried out some cheap powerline adapters I was amazed at how poor the speed was. I suspect that expensive ones perform better.

As you you have a wiring problem, perhaps you should only buy them on the understanding that the retailer will give a full refund if you can't make them work satisfactorily.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
#1. AC outlet network adapters must be on the same phase e.g. you have 230 coming in and is split between two 110s, they must be on the same 110s

#2. Signal will not go through a transformer

I'm not sure what the distance is on these devices. There are really only two routes you can go for distance greater than 100 meters:

#1. fiber line
#2. wireless rigged to a satellite dish. Get one on each side pointing at each-other and a signal booster and you can get some good distances, but is VERY directional.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Thank you! Upstairs and downstairs are both at 230V and single phase, so that's not a problem.

The only difference is the amount of amps, but afaik that doesn't make a bit of difference. So I guess I'm good to go.