Getting BSODs after BIOS update

benjanini61

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I completely forgot that when you update the BIOS it resets all the settings to default and so now when i put my cpu clock back up to 4Ghz it BSODs before i can even log in. So there must be some other settings that i also changed from default to get the 4ghz stable, but i cant remember them at all. What can i do??

windows 7 64bit
4gb ddr3 ram
gigabyte 970a-ds3
6950 2gb
phenom 965 be 3.6ghz (usually at 4ghz stable)
corsair 600w builder series

This is my current settings after the BIOS update, is there anything that needs to be raised or lowered??

CPU clock ratio x18 3600Mhz
CPU northbridge freg. auto 2000Mhz
CPU host clock control auto
X CPU frequency (mhz) 200

CPU voltage control 1.4250 (about 10 mins ago i changed this to 1.4750 and havent had a BSOD yet)
CPU NB VID control normal 1.1000v

Anything here looks out of the ordinary??
Hopefully that voltage change is what needed to be done.

Lutfij

Titan
In the world of overclocking its learn first then do. There's a guide for overclocking an AMD chip written by 4Ryan6 and with alot of dedication too.

The other fact is that overclocking isn't about keying in a magic number and watching your rig go into warp drive mode. Each chip has a dif spec which could be anywhere to being a really power sapping die or even a power efficient overclocker. One user may need 1.5v to get to 4GHz while an exactly similar chip may require 1.3 to get to that mark.

BTW, how short is that short run? A machine is considered by most hardcore overclockers as Prime stable if the rig passes all tests after 24hrs.

* Auto ins't a good setting to keep on when you'll have most of them keyed in. Reason being the mobo doesn't discriminate your chip by either applying less or more voltages to your chips liking, rather it just pumps it with the maximum voltages at the get go - which is damaging to the CPU.

** Overclocking needs some good amount of cooling to tackle the heat - you didn't mention your cooler...?

benjanini61

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Oh yes i have an Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I know how all chips are different. But are there usually that many settings set to auto? and doesnt the NB freq need to be higher? And by short i mean 15 minutes lol, very short.
Thanks ill take alot at that guide later :D