csiegle56

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I am going to try to be specific as possible as this is a bit strange. First when I start up my computer will continuously turn on and off 5-8 times but then after that and every other time after I reboot it will boot to the bios without any trouble. I will then proceed to boot into the OS but after about a certain amount of time the computer will freeze and I mean completly freeze the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. I just built this computer and I would think if it was a power supply was malfunctioning the computer would just shut off like at the beginning instead of displaying everything on screen. It could be my motherboard too though because my case has letters labeling all of the necicary places to install risers but my motherboard must have been slightly different because one riser did not show and when I became aware of this I thought the motherboard was shorting out so I took the motherboard out installed the riser but the problem has not yet been resolved. Did not putting in the riser permanently damage the motherboard or do you think its a faulty power supply?

Putting in a standoff that doesn't exactly line up with the mounting hole on the motherboard can cause an electrical short-circuit on the underside of the motherboard and will cause the problems you describe.

Do not put in standoffs that will not have a screw screwed into it to hold down the motherboard.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The stand off thing is good advice even if it isn't the problem...

Are you sure you properly setup your ram, correct voltage and timings? A good majority of instabilities and overall problems can be the result of improperly setup system memory.

Can you list your system specs so we have a better idea of what we're looking at?

csiegle56

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

I have done quite a bit of testing since then and I can tell you it doesn't have anything to do with short circuiting unless of course something has been permanently damaged as I set up the entire computer on an anti-static bag and the problem still persists. I have also purchased a new power supply which is a corsair 850hx.

A few of you asked for system specs so here it goes.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
ASRock P55 EXTREME4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157206 I had then replaced it with an msi big bag trinergy.
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Core i5 750 lynfield
MSI GTX 580

Lutfij

Titan
Follow the steps shown in the troubleshooting guide in my signature.

Your ram isn't mentioned in the QVL.

Though most times, mem's not mentioned in QVL work out of the box. Your mobo could be the culprit. Ummm, what was your PSU before the 850HX? A faulty PSU will take out anything its connected to.

The cpu and ram seem to be the problem as you've mentioned a new mobo and PSU.

Before you trouble shoot after this post, test all your hardware out on a pals rig and rule out their faults. That way your elliminate less likely candidates, easier to find the bad guy.

csiegle56

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Yea I would test out my hardware on one of my friends computers unfortunately none of them have a p55 chipset so all I could really test would be the memory and although it could be faulty Im not quite sure why it would choose to boot sometimes and not others. I know there are definitely power irregularity issues so im hoping at the very least whatever faulty hardware thats in my rig didnt end up frying the motherboard as well.

Lutfij

Titan
^ one possible scenario, true.

run one stick of ram on each slot and work your way up as a dual channel. If the system boots with one stick of ram...then run them in dual channel on the colored pair slots. I couldn't find the QVL for the trinergy...:/

Once the systems powered up, you should swap the 8GB kit with a Quad channel kit for the trinergy...4x2GB maybe...but thas only after you/i 've found the ram to be the issue.

csiegle56

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

The system has actually been able to boot at certain times and I have tried placing only 1 stick (trying both of them in the correct slot) but the computer has been able to boot and so far im thinking its a cpu issue considering its idling at around 30 percent as im fairly sure unless I happen to have alot of malware on a fresh install of windows or the cpu isnt getting enough power but im not really sure all i know is when i use power saving settings or my laptop is running very low on power the cpu usage rises a significant amount to notice.

Lutfij

Titan
if your still under warranty period, RMA the stuff...

Hmmm, new mobo and yet the same problem...you could take the CPU out and look at the contracts made on the CPU, (don't touch them!) just inspect for any anomalies on the CPU contacts and the mobo sockets.

csiegle56

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yea unfortunately my house is a nightmare so I didn't have much space to actually separate every single plastic bag and chord not to mention just little things like screws will probably end up making me spend more on shipping. Although I am pretty certain its not the contacts as I was very careful when I put it in to make sure there was no force applied and it went in slow and easy. I will check though it really cant make this situation any worst that it already is as it is definitely the single most amount of money I have ever wasted in my entire life.