$350 Linux Build

kronev

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (1-2 Weeks) BUDGET RANGE: ($350 Before Rebates)

SYSTEM USAGE: (Watching Movies, Downloading (via Wireless), Surfing the Internet, Ripping DVDs)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, Case (COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW), OS (will be using Linux Ubuntu or Fedora))

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (all from one site at either newegg or tigerdirect) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (USA)

PARTS PREFERENCES: (AMD CPU, Wireless PCI Card, Hard Drive 500GB+)

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (LG W2061TQ-PF 20" Monitor 1600x900 Max)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (I would like it as stable/reliable as possible)

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
$349

2h5teoi.png

^+1. Good set up. But, you need a GPU and a Wireless adapter/card in there.

@OP: I'll take the time now and tell you that when you buy a Wireless card, MAKE SURE it has drivers for Linux. Most of the Realtek chipset based WiFi adapters/cards have pretty good Linux support, so keep that in mind.

whitefang

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Crap, didn't realise that mobo didn't come with a integrated video card. Should of known, almost all 770's dont have integrated.

If you have any extra $ put a 4550/4650 in that build and your set. If not, then you might need to cut back on somthing (Maybe ram?).

So you have 3 options.

1. Just buy the 4650/4550
2. Buy this motherboard which has integrated video. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138163&cm_re=790-_-13-138-163-_-Product

3. Get 2GB ram instead of 4GB and get the 4650/4550.

Second that for an Nvidia card. I have a AMD 4850+debian squeeze and am kicking my self for buying AMD.

AMD actually has decent drivers, but the biggest problem is AMD's lack of support for newer xserver!!!
Xserver 1.7 has been out since october and AMD still doesnt support it (meaning its useless for the vast majority of updated systems). Although the open source RadeonHD driver does, but lacks features like 3D acceleration and video acceleration and power management!

Buy Nvidia and save your self a headache ;)

As for wireless, railink, some broadcom, atheros have linux drivers. Defintelly do your research though, as different versions of the same model can have different unsupported chipsets. If you end up with a card that doesnt have linux drivers, dont worry too much as you can use ndiswrapper and the firmware binary (not ideal, but still works)

here is a list of working drivers under linux, these are already in the kernel and dont need anything extra:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers

AMD actually has decent drivers, but the biggest problem is AMD's lack of support for newer xserver!!!
Xserver 1.7 has been out since october and AMD still doesnt support it (meaning its useless for the vast majority of updated systems). Although the open source RadeonHD driver does, but lacks features like 3D acceleration and video acceleration and power management!
Exactly!

Btw, long time no see eh?