Is it the LCD or Inverter? no display or faintly seeable

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 10:10:10 PM

I have a ThinkPad 770ED with a LCD that is basically dead. If you try
real hard you can see things but not enough to use.

The monitor port works perfectly.

Does this mean the LCD is bad or do I replace the inverter?

==============
September 9, 2004 10:10:11 PM

MikeRies wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad 770ED with a LCD that is basically dead. If you try
> real hard you can see things but not enough to use.
>
> The monitor port works perfectly.
>
> Does this mean the LCD is bad or do I replace the inverter?

Or the backlight ccfl.

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

If the display is present, regardless of how hard it is to read (it will
be faint), then the problem is not in the actual LCD panel [using that
term in the strict technical sense, but the lamps are physically inside
the panel assembly]. In that case the problem is either a bad lamp(s)
or a bad inverter. More likely the inverter.

If no display is present at all, then it's something else.

To aid in seeing if the display is present, shine a very bright
flashlight at the screen from various angles, or, in some cases, it may
help to press it right up against the screen.

MikeRies wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad 770ED with a LCD that is basically dead. If you try
> real hard you can see things but not enough to use.
>
> The monitor port works perfectly.
>
> Does this mean the LCD is bad or do I replace the inverter?

> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
July 21, 2011 5:53:21 PM

Well I have a DV9700, With no display from its screen at all, even after replacing the LCD and Mainboard and the inverter and display cable, i basically replaced everything, but it still only works through the external port for an external monitor. I back tracked and checked up with device managers inside i see my display adaptor is fine, up to date NVIDIA 8400GS. When I look at the monitor root, I only see the external monitor being the only selection, does that mean the original monitor driver of its laptop is missiing? only the NIVIDA Display driver is available but a missing monitor driver can cause a dead screen?

The main problem is i cannot even find the monitor driver! PLEASE HELP !!!
!