Tell me what you think please--first post

HoosierinKzoo

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
This is my first post on Tom's Hardware so I'd like to say hello to everyone and thank you for all the posts I read that's helped me figure this whole thing out. Built my first system a year ago and I've made some upgrades here and there and would love any imput on my system and recommendations for any future upgrades I might need.

Case- Antec 900 ( added 120 mm side panel fan)

MB- Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

CPU- INtel Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 ghz

Memory- 8 Gigs total Corsair 800 mhz

windows vista 64bit

psu corsair 750 w modular (just got this)

GPU- BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC to 710/1559/1200

again any suggestions would be fantastic, thank you

There really isn't much you can upgrade. The LGA775 socket is dead and DDR2 is following it out the door.

That said, if you're a gamer (and I'm assuming you are), you may want to consider a new GPU sometime soon. The old (and it looks like the new ones as well) nVidia cards are just being decimated by ATI's 5xxx series cards. I would start thinking about sticking a 5870/5970 in there in the next year or so. After that, you're really looking at a new CPU, board and RAM.

I believe the CPU score is just higher in general. All the benchmarks I've seen have the CPU score 2-3 times higher regardless of the card. The 10K on the card looks about right compared to what I've briefly looked at. The difference between the 9800 GT and the 260 should be about a 25% performance gain...