Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XSPC 750 RS240 kit; what is the limiting factor?

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 81 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:36:28 PM

Hello all,

I've got the XSPC 720 RS240 Raystorm Kit, and it is working quite well for me. Using distilled water, Artic Cooling MX-4 on the block, with the radiator mounted outside on the back of my NZXT Phantom in push/pull, I am running my i5 3570K at 4.8 GHz at 1.45 vcore with the hottest core hitting 95°C after hours of Prime95 testing. This is a CPU-only loop, by the way. And now, as any other greedy overclocker, I want more.

As you can tell, my chip was definitely the runt of the litter when it comes to the voltage/frequency ratio. 4.9 GHz won't last a second in Prime95 at anything less than 1.53 vcore, and I have to shut off Prime95 because cores start to hit 105°C pretty quickly. My goal is 5 GHz, and who knows how much vcore that's gonna take. Also, before anyone says anything about having too high of a vcore, I know the risks. As long as the cores stay under 95°C, I'll take the good with the bad.

Now, my question is, which of my components is the biggest limiting factor? I am assuming the RS240 is the culprit, because the Raystorm is high quality and the X20 750 pump/res pumps out at 750 lph. When I originally bought this kit, I got the RS240 because I wanted to internally mount it, but frankly it looks nice to me on the outside.

So if the limiting factor is the RS240, what kind of temperature decrease would I expect see if I switch it out for an RX360 (since I'm going to leave it mounted outside) or another high quality 360mm rad?

Thank you for your help.
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:39:27 PM

You got four fans on that puppy?
four fans on shrouds in pushpull?
don't switch out for an RX 360, ADD the RX360
to bluntly answer the question though, the RS240 is the 'weak' link, its a thin rad and you obviously want more power :p 
Moto
m
l
a c 81 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:49:16 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
You got four fans on that puppy?
four fans on shrouds in pushpull?
don't switch out for an RX 360, ADD the RX360
to bluntly answer the question though, the RS240 is the 'weak' link, its a thin rad and you obviously want more power :p 
Moto

No shrouds, but I have two CM Blade Masters pushing and the two fans that came with the kit pulling.

And adding the rad is a viable option, since I can still mount the RS240 at the bottom of my Phantom. But, would the pump be able to handle adding a 360 rad?
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 2:59:30 PM

Yup, I run two of those res/pumps on a Cpu/2xGpu/Rx240/2xEx360 loop with no issues ,
you are only running one pump but you have far less restriction than I do, another rad is not going to be an issue
Moto
m
l
a c 81 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 3:33:01 PM

All right, thanks. One more question: How much will my temps drop by adding the 360 rad?
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 3:57:00 PM

You should see a decent drop on load temps but remember that you are still limited by ambient temps so if your rooms at 20'c, your waters likely to be around 25'c and your cores should idle a little more than that,
voltage is the main culprit for heat and like you said, your chip likes the volts so you need to maximise your cooling potential to give yourself the headroom
Moto
a c 81 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 4:04:54 PM

Best answer selected by iHog.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 6:27:02 PM

Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help and shout up when the new rad gets here ok?
We'll help you if you need it
Moto
m
l
!