Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Computer
  • Laptop Screen
  • CRT Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2010 2:45:18 AM

Title is descriptive. Is this the correct forum? If not, simply point me to the correct one.

My laptop screen is cracked (long story.) I'm using a 1280x1024 monitor from a few years ago in place of the dead screen.

Right now, I'm ignorant as to the progress of the computer booting. How can I get the laptop to recognize the monitor from the get-go? I'll gladly remove the old LCD, hit it with a hammer, etc.

This is temporary, within the month I should have a new computer--but until then, I'd like to not have to guess on what option I'm choosing if the computer is about to run a chkdsk, or is asking if I want to go into safe mode after a spontaneous reboot.

More about : laptop screen dead crt monitor show boot process

March 18, 2010 1:12:08 AM

...No one?
m
l
March 18, 2010 2:36:14 AM

Does your monitor have a quick (function) key to switch to external display? I doubt it would help, but worth a try I suppose.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2010 5:55:42 PM

Nope--but the monitor still displays, it just starts as soon as I need to enter my password.

I'd like to know if it's needing my input, etc., so I want it to display from the time I hit the power button on my laptop.
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:08:11 PM

About the cracked laptop screen, is nothing visible anymore on it, or does the backlight just no longer work.
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:25:23 PM

It's cracked. As in, the part that displays? Yeah, that's broken.

There is absolutely no way in the world this screen will display anything that I can understand.
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:28:48 PM

Well, all I meant was if the backlight broke yet the LCD still partially works, you can hold it in the light (or shine a flashlight in at an angle) and faintly see what it is displaying. If the entire LCD is finished, then this won't help.
m
l
!