CPU fan going crazy after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyndrome

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hey guys. Got an MSI 890FX-GD70 and I've just flashed BIOS to latest version 1.7.
PC initially didn't want to boot as it gave a long beep followed by two short beeps.
So I removed the CMOS battery and replaced it. Then switched the reset jumper to the second and third pins and then back again to the first and second pins.
I've then managed to get into BIOS and change the boot sequence.
Everything is working fine except the LED light below the CMOS battery is flashing randomly.
Also my CPU fan is acting crazy and peaking 5700rpm. It's really annoying.
This never happened before as my PC was actually whisper quiet. A little concerned as the rpms are not getting lower than 5300rpm.
Here are my specs:

AMD X6 1090T, 8GB DDR3 1600OC, 60GB SSD + 150GB Raptor 10k rpm + 1.5TB HHD, 2GB ATI 4870 xFire, Dell 2407wfp-hc with Samsung Syncmaster P2405 extended monitor, Zalman 1000W PSU

Solution
MSI 890FXA-GD70 - http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2025

Hmm LED, do you mean the HDD LED immediately under the CMOS battery? If so it means data is being accessed from the HDD/SSD.

I assume the CPU Fan is connected to the CPUFAN header, next check the BIOS:

H/W Monitor Tab
CPU Fan {count the connectors on the fan 3 or 4 pin} -> enter correct value
CPU Smart Fan Target -> Enable
Save & Exit -> Yes

Also, there's a 'Control Center Utility' to control some of the fan speeds.

jpg1784

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
There may be an option in the BIOS to alter the speed or RPM's of the fan, should be able to choose between default automatic settings and actual RPM's although it depends on how extensive the BIOS is. If not I think there is a program out there that allows you to alter the speed once you are in the OS.

"Advice provided by Jade at www.customconnected.com "

MSI 890FXA-GD70 - http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2025

Hmm LED, do you mean the HDD LED immediately under the CMOS battery? If so it means data is being accessed from the HDD/SSD.

I assume the CPU Fan is connected to the CPUFAN header, next check the BIOS:

H/W Monitor Tab
CPU Fan {count the connectors on the fan 3 or 4 pin} -> enter correct value
CPU Smart Fan Target -> Enable
Save & Exit -> Yes

Also, there's a 'Control Center Utility' to control some of the fan speeds.

Solution

psyndrome

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Thanks guys...
I've managed to sort the fan issue out with advice from MSI forums. I did in fact go into the H/W Monitor tab in BIOS and enabled Smart CPU Fan. I used the 55C and minimum 55% fan speed. Works like a charm.
The issue with the LED, I thought that specific LED was for illustrating faults with CMOS. But if its for reading HDD then thats fiine. Should have read the manual :/
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.