3 Gb/s SATA hard drive on a 6 Gb/s motherboard?

shanvan555

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I'm building my first computer, & was wondering if a 6 Gb/s SATA motherboard & a 3 Gb/s SATA hard drive can be used together? I already have the hard drive & had a motherboard picked out, but my memory is DDR3 1600, so I need a 1666 motherboard. I can't find any that are 3 Gb/s SATA, only the 6. I didn't know if they were backwards compatible, or if you have to match them up...3 & 3 or 6 & 6. Thanks!

The mobo itself should be backwards compatible with SATA 2 and SATA1 speeds. I think it may be possible that the SATA cables may be an issue in some instances, but all the cables I've seen on newegg are backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gbps. When you get the motherboard out I would just check to ensure the cables are backwards compatible, but my guess is you won't have any issues.

Your SATA 3GB/s drive will implode into a black hole. Just kidding SATA 1,2,3 are all compatiable with each other. You can put a SATA 1,2,3 drive into any kind of SATA port.
Like the USPS commercial "If it fits it ships" except ships should be replaced by works.

Gzy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
how about the opposite? will a 6.0 Gb/s SATA HDD still function on a 3.0 Gb/s only MB? (i know you wrote 1,2,3 are all compatible but not sure if i should read that &apply to my question, sorry-thanks!)

^Yes, a SATA3 HDD works fine on a SATA2 Port. A SATA3 HDD is pointless; the fastest HDD is 140~150 MB/s or 1/2 SATA2 speed of 300MB/s. The only real plus to SATA3 HDD's is larger caches.

SSD is a whole other thing if the R/W speeds > 300 MB/s then you'll loose speed.