Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
note: all brand new parts

asus p5n-d motherboard
q8300 intel quad core 2.5ghz
2X2gb ram
evga 9800gt graphics
750watt power supply

so heres the deal, with everything plugged in i get the standard 1 bios beep and then it restarts without even turning on the monitor, google said that this is a ram problem. with the ram out i get 1 long and 2 short which google said is a videocard issue, i dont trust that though since its literally right out of the box new.

i had a 500 watt power supply and thought it wasnt good enough and that was the problem, but nothing has changed since i plugged in the new one. all power cables are hooked up and im stumped.

mikeman20

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
all cables are in the right spots (yes even the extra 4 pin one and the gpu one) im going to go check the thermal paste to see if it squished over the side into the cpu, and then if that didnt work then ill look at the standoffs

everything else in the list i have already checked

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
... no ... if you had checked everything, you would be fixed ..

... You are over-looking something or are taking something for granted ... or skipping over steps.

That doc will absolutely solve or isolate ... to exact fault ... and ... 96.9372% of the time, it is an assembly error.

= Al = (I'll bet you think I made that number up).

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Are you able to get into the BIOS?

I've had my P5N-D over a year and once my BIOS got corrupted and all I had to was boot off a CD and that reflashed the BIOS. The instructions are in the manual but I would do that as a last resort.

Try one stick of RAM. Put your videocard in the top slot. Let us know how it goes.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

I might admonish or chide or even lambaste some poor sap who is having 1st build boot issues ... but I DO try to draw the line at "laughing AT the OP" ... in these cases ... because being in that position can really really suck ... And I might be in that same position ... sooner rather than later.

Anyway ... don't think you are way to savvy to have put a standoff in the wrong place or to have a flakey soft-power or reset switch.

I would remove all those connectors from mobo ... FOR SHORE !

=

mikeman20

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Standoffs are in correct places ( only 4 of them and all screwed onto board) thermal paste was messy but i cleaned it and no change, i cant boot from cd and its not the bios because it doesnt get far enoughto turn on the monitors even. I tried the bios reset pin and removed the bettery like it says and that did nothing also. I think the ram may be cooked which would be stupid since its new. @ hundredislandsboy: tried the ram and lvideocard in every possible combo but no change, still just beeps and then starts again like usual

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Check all connections between monitor and videocard. Reseat videocard. Check videocard 6 pin power connector. Lastly, try a different videocard. You can't further troubleshoot without video. You can't flash the BIOS without a screen.

Doubt it's a standoff or a short. A short is usually a quich flash of LED, fans spin for half a second and then nothing.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Try disconnecting all drives ... did that ?

At this point, you must get methodical and start BARE (just the mobo power and the cpu power connectors and one stick of RAM ) ...

... Make sure NONE of your case connectors is connected to the mobo headers !

.. Don't make ANY assumptions that you can not prove ... do not.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
unfortunately ... we can't stand there ... no onbd/integrated gpu ? ....

... All I can say is to bread-board it, from the screws up, and follow every step in the "probs doc" as if that step will solve.

Swap what you can ... take notes ... simplify the config as much as possible.

Your alternative is to return/RMA ... I would test and prove each part possible.

If you try to "prove" 2 things at once, you will get lost. The only way to keep from getting lost is to be extremely methodical and take notes.

Despite the number of variables ... they ARE limited . There can be no "fuzzies" ... Like physics ... what do you know ... absolutely?

= Frustrating = I would proceed as if I missed something really simple ... yup.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And if you have any old techie buddies ... Invite them over for a beer !

Sometimes two heads are better ... it could be something staring you in the face.

isolate ... simplify ... divide ... conquer ... swap ... log ... test ... repeat.

... yeah ... not much help. I can only encourage you to redouble your efforts and to get help and find swappage.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And I didn't mean to rag on anyone .. just trying to not be too cold hearted ... Build day can be a wonderful day or a disaster ... It really can happen to anyone and the best you can hope is that you can properly identify any failed parts ... which are very rare.

= Al =

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I know it's obvious but did you reset CMOS, jumpers connected and mobo batterry removed?

Did you check the CMOS jumpers before you started? Double check front panel headers? What is the PC Case?

If still no success, take out the CPU and inspect the socket pins with a magnifying glass, check for bent pins.

Was the PnP cap on when you opened the motherboard? Have you accidentally put on too much paste and and it got into the socket? The first time you set the CPU in there and you pushed down the load lever, did you hear a crunching sound and when ooops and then repositioned the CPU?

Lutfij

Titan
@ OP - i suppose you can take apart all the parts and put them back together again, but this time look at the CPU with a microscope or some macro glasses. The pin layout should show your glitch and eventual problem, this may be silly, but did you connect the 6 pin power connector on the card?

The last time i came across a problem like this on the forums, the guy didnt even notice his 4pin power connector to the board wasnt connected...

@ Alvin smith - hmmm i get it :)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Happens VERY frequently ... One of the most common "gotchas" and clearly outlined in "Probs" doc.

= Alvin =

Hven't seen the OP in awhile ... Think he either figgered it out or got ticked off at us.

Lutfij

Titan
Beats me :/ i scoured the net with his specs, still haven't seen his problem surface anywhere else. If he's succeeded in troubleshooting his troubles then we've served humanity.

Though if the OP IS reading this? Asus has a string of customer complaints that say they aren't happy with their boards since they don't even POST out of the box - mostly but not all of them say that...@mikeman20 - RMA it

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Naw ... It was the Elephants ... I think he "snapped" and is now under observation .... I should have told him , ... "It's OKay! ... We can see them too ! "

= Alvin =

. . [:jaydeejohn:3] . . [:jaydeejohn:3] . . [:jaydeejohn:3]

mikeman20

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
sorry about leavin you guys in the dark, went away for easter weekend and had no internet (or a non working computer) i guess ill go back over it all again, nothing else i can do really

TRENDING THREADS