Dual Channel Board & Tri-Channel Memory

jpumagat

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
So this is my first time building a PC and I think i made a pretty dumb mistake but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to work around it without having to go through the hassle of returning parts.

Problem:
I purchased the ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB 3 mobo which supports dual channel memory and like a newbie bought the G.Skills ripjaws F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL (a tri-channel 3x4gb set).

Question:
Can i still make this work or does the MoBo only run with dual channel sets?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We all make mistakes, that's how we learn. Your mobo supports single and dual channel modes. You can install all three RAM sticks, but the likely outcome would be that the two that are placed into the DC configuration will operate in DC mode, while the last stick will run in SC mode.

If you could return it and recover some of the money, then do it. Otherwise, just keep them. Just an FYI, in most builds, 4GB is enough to get you through just about everything you do, including RAM intesive apps. The heavy hitters are things like photo/video editing or other similar activity.

jpumagat

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I was looking to do some 3D modeling with Solidworks. It recommended 6GB of RAM or more so thats why I jumped, obviously without thinking, on the 12GB that were on sale. I also read in another forum that you can just use two of the three sticks and they will run in dual channel mode or you can use all three and run them all in single channel mode. What would give better performance? 4GBx3 in single channel or 4GBx2 in dual channel?

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM).

The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, a bottleneck occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process.

Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to this bottleneck effect. The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth.

Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled.

In short, any CPU that you install on that mobo you just bought would most certainly cause a bottleneck with any RAM in Single Channel mode. However, 3D rendering will be RAM intensive. I would return your Triple Channel kit, and pick up a DC kit with 2x6GB.