• Heatsinks
  • Thermal Compound
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2010 8:15:36 PM

Do I need to purchase a heatsink or does one come with my new cpu or motherboard,also where is a good place to get the arctic thermal compound?

More about : heatsink

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 8:27:55 PM

If you're not overclocking, you don't need an aftermarket HSF. As long as you bought a retail version (i.e. boxed), you get a HSF with the CPU. If you bought an OEM version, you will need an aftermarket cooler.

Most HSF come with compound preapplied. Unless you're trying for a massive overclock, you don't need aftermarket thermal compound. Thermal compound can be bought pretty much where ever you buy components (Newegg, TigerDirect, etc).
April 1, 2010 8:28:20 PM

Most CPUs will come with a heatsink and fan.. as long as you bought a RETAIL version. If you bought an OEM it will not come with anything but the processor.
You can find thermal compound where most of us like to get stuff... newegg.com :-)

I Recommend either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-2.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 8:39:51 PM

Just though I should include a couple of examples.

If the product you bought looks like this, you bought an OEM version. You'll need to buy a HSF.

If the product you bought looks like this, you bought a retail version. You don't need an aftermarket HSF.
m
l
April 1, 2010 8:44:39 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Just though I should include a couple of examples.

If the product you bought looks like this, you bought an OEM version. You'll need to buy a HSF.

If the product you bought looks like this, you bought a retail version. You don't need an aftermarket HSF.

okay thanks that helps alot, what about a fan for the cpu,the case I bought has two fans,do I need to purchase a third for the cpu?
m
l
April 1, 2010 8:45:37 PM

Best answer selected by jijoslin.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 8:46:40 PM

The heatsink that comes with the CPU will have a fan. There are very few aftermarket heatsink that don't include a fan, so you would need a fan for those.

Here's an aftermarket HS that has a fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus.

Here's one that doesn't have a fan: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B.
m
l
April 2, 2010 3:27:09 AM

I just ran 3dmark vantage on my inspiron 545 and got a score of p6056 iss this average for this system?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2010 12:09:39 PM

Hell if I know. Google up some benchmarks.
m
l
April 2, 2010 1:31:09 PM

Yeah that seems about average, but far far from where I would like to be, so it's time to sell the dell and get a more upgradeable and custom rig!! thanks for all the info, have a great day!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2010 1:34:21 PM

By custom, I hope you mean homebuilt and not a prebuilt like those from CyberPower, IBuyPower, etc. You'll save a bunch by building it yourself, ensure you're getting exactly what you need, and make sure everything is quality, not to mention that you'll learn a lot.

Make sure to come on back for a double check of your parts list. I'll be willing to bet we can either find you some deals to save some cash or find ways to improve the buid.
m
l
April 4, 2010 3:04:56 AM

Yes I do mean homebuilt, here is my parts list, and everthing has already been ordered! ASRock m3a77ode, am3, amd, 770, crossfire capable mobo,Rosewill black steel/plastic atx mid tower case, GSkill ripjaws ddr3 1600 4gb memory, microsoft windows 7 for builders 64-bit, seagate barracuda 7200 rpm, 32mb cache 750gb hdd,Lite-on 24 dvd w lightscribe support,AMD Phenom 2*4 965 Black edition 3.4ghz quad core 125w,Sapphire Radeon HD5850 1GB 256-BIT DDR5 Graphics card, Antec Earthwatts 500 watt EA-500D, Do you think my power supply is adequate? Thanks for all your help!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2010 3:27:17 PM

The PSU should be alright.
m
l
April 7, 2010 1:50:43 AM

I got my new build up and running, only problem is the very loud fan noise from the phenom 965be, will a cooler solve this?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 2:41:43 AM

An aftermarket cooler should be quieter. That said, AMD's stock cooler shouldn't be very loud. How hot is the CPU running?
m
l
April 7, 2010 3:00:07 AM

56 DEGREES CELSIUS
m
l
April 7, 2010 3:51:20 AM

my ambient room temp was high, turned on ac and fan is much quiter,and temps about 40 celsius at idle, does this sound about right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 4:04:06 AM

40 degrees is more reasonable. 56 is pretty high. I would definitely consider getting an aftermarket cooler even if you don't overclock. You may also want to consider adding some case fans if possible.
m
l
April 7, 2010 4:09:17 AM

Okay thanks for the info, with stock cooling after playing games on high settings for an hour or so, what should my max temps be for this cpu?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 12:12:35 PM

A better test would be running Prime95 for about an hour. You wouldn't want the temps to be above 50 C, but that won't be the actual maximum the CPU can handle. I'm not sure what to maximum temp it can reach without being damaged.
m
l
!