Plez Some Advice On Compaq Armada 1750

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2004 12:04:02 AM

Hello, all. I'm new to this group, and also to laptops. I have
experience with building and repairing home PCs, however this is my
first laptop. I purchased a used Compaq Armada 1750 at an auction,
and it needed a HD and caddy. I obtained those online, however, when
I installed the HD, and attempt to install an OS, the computer reports
that it sees a "Non-System Disk".
I have spent quite some time on the HP website, and from what I can
gather, this laptop requires some sort of system partition on the HD
in order for it to be set up, and so forth.
Would someone have any experience with this model of Armada, and be
willing to share some knowledge with me about how to obtain the
required files, and how to install them to the HD, when the computer
says it does not even recongize it?
I have flashed the BIOS, but it seemed to not do anything regarding my
problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Chaser
September 10, 2004 9:43:49 AM

I would think you could deal with this just like a normal computer. Boot it
from a Win 98 boot floppy and fdisk and format the disk from there. It might
even boot from the appropriate bootable cd for Win 98 or XP if that is an
option. The only thing different you need is the appropriate drivers for the
hardware associated with the laptop: you know video, sound, LAN, etc.
Terry
"Mumbato" <mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 1v1k0t2ogh31pj0jaj2k6v2odbo009enj@4ax.com...
> Hello, all. I'm new to this group, and also to laptops. I have
> experience with building and repairing home PCs, however this is my
> first laptop. I purchased a used Compaq Armada 1750 at an auction,
> and it needed a HD and caddy. I obtained those online, however, when
> I installed the HD, and attempt to install an OS, the computer reports
> that it sees a "Non-System Disk".
> I have spent quite some time on the HP website, and from what I can
> gather, this laptop requires some sort of system partition on the HD
> in order for it to be set up, and so forth.
> Would someone have any experience with this model of Armada, and be
> willing to share some knowledge with me about how to obtain the
> required files, and how to install them to the HD, when the computer
> says it does not even recongize it?
> I have flashed the BIOS, but it seemed to not do anything regarding my
> problem.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.
>
> Chaser

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2004 11:27:53 AM

Hi, and thanks for the speedy response!

I failed to mention that I have already gone thru that whole routine,
using boot disks from all OS's, Win95 thru WinXP. There are times
when the system will boot from the A: drive, and times when it will
not, and reports the same "Non System Disk" error.

Matter of fact, I did get all the way thru an install of WinXP, and it
did boot twice to the OS, but after that, it went back to reporting
the same thing.

What gets me is that when I do manage to boot from either the A:
drive, or the CD-ROM drive, the HD is recgonized thru DOS, and I am
able to do both a Fdisk and Format, but when the computer does the
POST, it simply reports the same old message.

I was thinking that maybe it's a bad BIOS chip, but then I read on the
Compaq site that the BIOS is HD resident. That's sort of confusing
me, because I can find only the utility to flash the BIOS, which I've
already done...

Any other suggestions? I would be willing to listen to anything at
this point, except to maybe change the oil and rotate the tires on the
thing... :-)

Chaser

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:43:49 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:

>I would think you could deal with this just like a normal computer. Boot it
>from a Win 98 boot floppy and fdisk and format the disk from there. It might
>even boot from the appropriate bootable cd for Win 98 or XP if that is an
>option. The only thing different you need is the appropriate drivers for the
>hardware associated with the laptop: you know video, sound, LAN, etc.
>Terry
>"Mumbato" <mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:D 1v1k0t2ogh31pj0jaj2k6v2odbo009enj@4ax.com...
>> Hello, all. I'm new to this group, and also to laptops. I have
>> experience with building and repairing home PCs, however this is my
>> first laptop. I purchased a used Compaq Armada 1750 at an auction,
>> and it needed a HD and caddy. I obtained those online, however, when
>> I installed the HD, and attempt to install an OS, the computer reports
>> that it sees a "Non-System Disk".
>> I have spent quite some time on the HP website, and from what I can
>> gather, this laptop requires some sort of system partition on the HD
>> in order for it to be set up, and so forth.
>> Would someone have any experience with this model of Armada, and be
>> willing to share some knowledge with me about how to obtain the
>> required files, and how to install them to the HD, when the computer
>> says it does not even recongize it?
>> I have flashed the BIOS, but it seemed to not do anything regarding my
>> problem.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.
>>
>> Chaser

a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 7:11:46 PM

You are correct. The BIOS is on the hard drive. You need to go to the
HP/Compaq website and download the Setup Disk(s) and put the programs on
floppies. One disk is Setup and the other is Utilities. This is the case
anyway with Armada 7700's and some older somethingorother 486 Compaq laptop
that I have. You will probably be given the choice to install the Setup
program on the hard drive or just keep it on the floppy. I would give you
the web site but they said that they were moving it (last March) so I guess
you'll just have to click your way around until you find it. I just
realized that i have it saved on a different computer anyway. Good luck. I
hope this solves your problem. It also sounds like it might not be
recognizing the hard drive for some other reason.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 1:43:01 AM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:11:46 -0700, "Ulysses"
<therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You are correct. The BIOS is on the hard drive. You need to go to the
>HP/Compaq website and download the Setup Disk(s) and put the programs on
>floppies. One disk is Setup and the other is Utilities. This is the case
>anyway with Armada 7700's and some older somethingorother 486 Compaq laptop
>that I have. You will probably be given the choice to install the Setup
>program on the hard drive or just keep it on the floppy. I would give you
>the web site but they said that they were moving it (last March) so I guess
>you'll just have to click your way around until you find it. I just
>realized that i have it saved on a different computer anyway. Good luck. I
>hope this solves your problem. It also sounds like it might not be
>recognizing the hard drive for some other reason.

Thanks very much for the information. I did get the two floppy
programs, and finally got the system partition installed. I had a
heck of a time doing it, because the documentation is not all that
great. But what I found out was that in order to install the
system/diagnostics partition, you first have to remove all partitions
from the drive, and then start from the Setup floppy. It then creates
it's own partition, and installs the program from there.

After that, it was a breeze to get the OS installed on the second
partition I created. Problem was, that after all that, upon boot, and
after POST, the computer reported the imfamous " Non System Disk"
message to me....

The only way I could get it to boot into WinXP was to change the boot
order in Setup, making the HD the first device in the list. Not the
best way to have the laptop setup, but the ONLY way it would see and
use the OS. Very strange, but true.

Thanks again for the help!!

Chaser

September 15, 2004 7:53:41 AM

Maybe you forgot to remove the floppy?

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:11:46 -0700, "Ulysses"
> <therealulysses@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>You are correct. The BIOS is on the hard drive. You need to go to the
>>HP/Compaq website and download the Setup Disk(s) and put the programs on
>>floppies. One disk is Setup and the other is Utilities. This is the case
>>anyway with Armada 7700's and some older somethingorother 486 Compaq
>>laptop
>>that I have. You will probably be given the choice to install the Setup
>>program on the hard drive or just keep it on the floppy. I would give you
>>the web site but they said that they were moving it (last March) so I
>>guess
>>you'll just have to click your way around until you find it. I just
>>realized that i have it saved on a different computer anyway. Good luck.
>>hope this solves your problem. It also sounds like it might not be
>>recognizing the hard drive for some other reason.
>

> Thanks very much for the information. I did get the two floppy
> programs, and finally got the system partition installed. I had a
> heck of a time doing it, because the documentation is not all that
> great. But what I found out was that in order to install the
> system/diagnostics partition, you first have to remove all partitions
> from the drive, and then start from the Setup floppy. It then creates
> it's own partition, and installs the program from there.
>
> After that, it was a breeze to get the OS installed on the second
> partition I created. Problem was, that after all that, upon boot, and
> after POST, the computer reported the imfamous " Non System Disk"
> message to me....
>
> The only way I could get it to boot into WinXP was to change the boot
> order in Setup, making the HD the first device in the list. Not the
> best way to have the laptop setup, but the ONLY way it would see and
> use the OS. Very strange, but true.
>
> Thanks again for the help!!
>
> Chaser

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2004 9:44:13 AM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:53:41 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:

>Maybe you forgot to remove the floppy?
>Terry

He, he, he.... :-) Nope, but as a matter of fact, that's about the
first thing I did check when I got that "Non-System Disk" error. I
checked both the floppy drive, and CD-ROM drive, and they were empty.

It's not a major issue with me, and if I ever need to boot from the A:
drive or the CD-ROM, I can just go back into the F-10 setup and change
the boot order once again. No biggie.... just a bit odd, that's

Chaser
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 2:51:01 PM

Actually, the BIOS setup app is what's installed on the hard drive. You
can setup the BIOS by using the floppies you mentioned, without creating
the hidden partition. I've done that on some that had irreplaceable hard
drive data. You don't need to access BIOS setup that often, anyway, IME.

!