Paging File: Much benefit in using another SSD for it?

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I've got a few extra small SSD drives lying around so I decided to use one for XP's paging file. Seems to work fine but I'm not sure how much better it is. Is there any test that I can use to test the difference in performance? Does anyone know what programs this would most benefit? If it doesn't make much of a difference I'd rather just use a partition on D drive where all of my data is presently stored for the paging file. The biggest headache I face now is HD movies (using a Radeon 1gb 5450 card) and websites that have a lot of content. Because of a ram issue I'm presently only using 1 stick of 800mhz DDR2 ram.

You would have to be looking at finely tuned benchmark testing to find out the benefit, if any. There is definitely a benefit in defragging pagefile.sys at least weekly and placing it on a separate drive lessens the need for that because the fragments don't get mixed up with other files. Beyond that, I'd say a nearly twelve year old OS, almost eight years past its last Service Pack, won't get much faster with just one tweak.

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
That last sentence was pretty funny. :)
I never thought about defragging it. Great idea.
So you don't think I'd notice any performance downgrade if I moved the pagefile from the SSD drive to a typical 7200 rpm Sata drive?

I can't see how it could be noticeable in normal day to day use but freeing up that SSD in favour of an older disk is a good idea. Until the cost of SSD drives comes down considerably, I will only be using them for their maximum capabilities and not just to store one file, however important it is.

There's a lot to be said for allowing XP to manage and set the size of pagefile.sys.