Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hydro H50 better than air, or sould I get on real water?

Last response: in Systems
April 1, 2010 10:02:52 PM

I just have a quick question. I have seen several reviews and I tried to find the ones that were the closest in testing.
I just wanted to know if the H50 is better than any of the air coolers??
I was looking at the Tuniq Tower 120 exetreme and CM N620. From what I read a H50 at 12v on a push/pull config at 2000rpm can get a a 4.0ghz
intel 920 at 36c idle and 75c at max load. I figured with the H50 it would give me a hell of a lot more room esp. for a water cooler. The other two would would be hard to work with once my build is comlete.
So do you think I should get the H50?

Also I was looking into water cooling kits, and I read some reviews saying the bigwater 760i, didn't really get that good of results. I just was wondering if someone knew of a good water cooling kit around 150. Either from frozencpu.com, xoxide, the egg, or tiger.
Thanks

April 1, 2010 10:15:16 PM

Man, this has come up a lot lately. The H50 is a good cooler. It does not however out perform the Megahalems, Venomous-X, or the Noctua NH-D14. As a nasty little side effect it also removes the fans that normally sit on these coolers so that your northbridge is going to be stifled of air. Not a huge deal on 1156 where there is no northbridge, but a major concern on 1366.

Top end water cooling if done properly can shave 4 or 5 degrees off of top end air. The problem is that in order to achieve this 4 or 5 degree difference you end up spending 250+ dollars just for a single loop cpu only setup. The main advantage of water was that you could cool your entire system. In the days of 100c gpus, and northbridges hot enough to fry egges (*cough* P45 *cough*) this was important.

Today's systems run much cooler. My 5870 never cracks 50c in its stock form. Northbridges, while still hot on 1366 don't come close to older core systems.

In my humble opinion there is no need for water cooling in today's systems.
m
l
April 1, 2010 10:34:27 PM

Do you want to go get a glass of milk at the lounge? lol

Thanks I am geting the AM3 MSI GD70(new or old), and there both going into a cm 692 advanced case.
This gives me 6.97 max clearence, if I don't want to use my side fan/fans. I am not limited to 25mm thick fans and anything from 20mm and below, would give 5mm plus of room, so I could use both side fans. I am not into the Noctuas, they are just to big, so I checked and I read from frostytech.com saying that the tuniq tower 120 exe. was one of the best and would fit just right in my case.
The H50 I would take the back exhaust and bring air from the back, making my top 140mm's the only exhaust.

I did enjoy the thought of the tuniq tower, cause it would help move air around so if its just off by a few degrees than its not a big deal.
The H50 is good in all but I don't think I will get it, if I got a case that had two back exhaust fans then I might.
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2010 10:47:53 PM

If you can find about $75 or so more, you could get a real WCing loop for CPU only ~$220 or so. ;) 
Note: Newegg, et al don't carry much WCing gear. You'd have to buy at Petras, Jab,etc.

Anyways, the H50 is OK if space is limited.
m
l
April 1, 2010 11:04:42 PM

Shadow703793 said:
If you can find about $75 or so more, you could get a real WCing loop for CPU only ~$220 or so. ;) 
Note: Newegg, et al don't carry much WCing gear. You'd have to buy at Petras, Jab,etc.

Anyways, the H50 is OK if space is limited.

Space is only limited if I want to use the side fans, but I have found 12mm thick fans if I really want to get something big. I am fine with air, I just saw the pre made kits for WC and didn't know if they were that much better. I wanted to get one is cause I also have been tring to find a GPU cooler also.
I wouldn't mind buying a WC just for the gpu, cause its going to be the hottest thing in my case. I probably will just stick with the H50 or the Tuniq Tower 120 Exe., they both fit in my case for uner 80 bucks, and get the job done.

m
l

Best solution

April 1, 2010 11:40:18 PM

Water Cooling is only for the extreme overclocking (4.3GHz+)... IMO

You would be better served using the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with a Push Pull fan setup, which would run you about $50 depending on what you purchase as your second fan.
April 2, 2010 4:35:30 AM

tecmo34 said:

You would be better served using the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with a Push Pull fan setup, which would run you about $50 depending on what you purchase as your second fan.

Well I will be be OCing the 955/965. I plan on putting up to where it runs really fast but really stable. Since I might want to get higher clocks
and since I am going to spend aroudn 50 for a cooler, I might as well spend an extra 20-30 getting a top performance cooler, well as long as it fits
nicely. As for water cooling, I have never had one, but that will only be neccessary for the future.

I am still debatig air coolers, cause some are so huge that they won't fit. I need one under 152mm's so I can also put my side fans for intake.
So if you have any recommendations for air coolers that get good low temps, or give me a link to a site that has accurate info, and I can just read for myself.
m
l
April 2, 2010 6:35:25 AM

Hey I am scouting out the air coolers, and do you think that 7mm's gap between my side fan and my cpu cooler is ok?
I could get a 120x12mm that would give me over 14mm's, I just didn't know if matter.
I guess if I got the side panel with a window, then I wouldn't have to worry about it, I would only lose one fan, which is worth if I want
everyone to see my perfectly clean machine. The only problem is its never in stock :( 

I am figuring it won't be a problem, but let me know what you think!
m
l
April 2, 2010 7:25:53 AM

tecmo34 said:

Thanks, that suggestion is now my new cpu cooler. The one place I know I can trust is toms, and is probably the only place I will trust with no questions asked. I found this link below showing it being the best cooler to get. For 35$ I am getting plenty of cooling, and saving plenty of money.
The reason I chose it was that I can still add another fan for more performance, and I can go get two Coolermaster Blue LED Fans, sleeve them, and put them on a fan controller!! I could do this with other coolers, but the CM is cheaper and will match my cooler master case!
It is thicker than the Tuniq Tower, leaving me only 6.5mm between a 12mm fan and it. I am not sure if it will block fans on the side since it is a lot skinnier, it might not be a problem. I was wondering if was able to be turned so it sucks air from the bottom and blows out the top??
m
l
April 2, 2010 10:55:52 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
I was wondering if was able to be turned so it sucks air from the bottom and blows out the top??
Yes, this is an option you can try, if space/gaps are a concern. You will have to look at your MOBO layout and make sure by doing so you won't block a needed RAM slot (which may or may not matter, since running dual-channel)
m
l
April 2, 2010 6:10:45 PM

The H50 IMO is just a gimmick....it performs well but doesn't make it into the top ten of air coolers.

And no, you don't want it blowing outta the top....I know it's contrary to logic but actual testing confirms 1 or2 C better going to rear.

Grab one of the top 3 of one of these lists:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

pick a TIM from the top few here:
http://www.hwreviewlabs.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

m
l
April 2, 2010 9:19:51 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't mind buying a WC just for the gpu, cause its going to be the hottest thing in my case.

That on the other hand, will be ~$300+ easily (cause full cover blocks are expensive). Mind listing full specs?
m
l
!