Is 280mm thick radiator enough to cool 2x HD 7970GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Hey guys. How are you all doing? I hope all is well.

So I decided to order 2 x XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970GHz cards, which I got for 400 each, saved over 80 per card, to replace my already sold GTX 670 DCUII SLI. I had originally decided to cancel the order and wait for the Titan but I thought again and here I am getting 2 cards for $800 and get 2x coupons for games (each card gets its own Crysis 3 and Bioshock coupon). What I want to know is whether or not a single, 280 mm radiator (thick) with push/pull is more than enough to cool the 2 cards. As you can see on my specs, I have a Corsair H80i for my CPU and I get less than 45 degrees Celsius under 100% load, meaning I don't plan on using the custom loop on it until I get Corsair 900D in the summer and have all the stuff water-cooled. I am going to be using the Fractal Design Define R4 with window and place the radiator at the front. Let me know if this works. I should have the cards and case by Wednesday. I plan to do the watercooling by mid march. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Still would depend on the radiator being used.
Look up some reviews on it, figure out what TDP it can handle with various RPM fans, calculate the TDP output of two 7970's (and the pump, which is usually like 15W). See if it will work at an acceptable RPM.
Acceptable as in you don't need to run them at 1700RPM, which would be very loud.

Or, just put on some more radiator to the loop. If I'm not mistaken, the R4 has a dual 120mm mounts at the top, you could use that as well. Even a 120mm on that bottom intake you mentioned. You could even externally mount a radiator if you were willing to mod the case.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

That's the thing I know I will be pushing it. However, wouldn't a push/pull with Scythe GT 1850 RPM be enough? Or I can just wait until I get the 900D and do a better watercooling build with 420 mm radiators. I want it to work in a way that I have the bottom fan pushing air in.

Still would depend on the radiator being used.
Look up some reviews on it, figure out what TDP it can handle with various RPM fans, calculate the TDP output of two 7970's (and the pump, which is usually like 15W). See if it will work at an acceptable RPM.
Acceptable as in you don't need to run them at 1700RPM, which would be very loud.

Or, just put on some more radiator to the loop. If I'm not mistaken, the R4 has a dual 120mm mounts at the top, you could use that as well. Even a 120mm on that bottom intake you mentioned. You could even externally mount a radiator if you were willing to mod the case.

Solution

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

I was and still am considering placing the rad at the top and front. So maybe a slim 280 mm at top and a thick 280 mm at front, and have them cool both the GPUs and CPU and sell the H80i. Then have the rear exhaust as intake and same for the bottom. How about that?

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I think I will just wait then until I get the 900D and go all out. I plan on getting either EKWB or XSPC kits. I will see how the air cooling goes in this case, it's supposed to be phenomenal and maybe I can mod the top to accept a 420mm rad, mod the bottom to accept additional 120/140 fan and have a 240 mm radiator at the front. So bottom becomes intake and same for the back and voila!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

I think modifying it will in turn make the rear exhaust into an intake. Would that be an issue to have have bottom and rear as intakes and have the rads at the top and front? I think I will have to get the case and see it in person then determine whether it's going to fit either a 360mm radiator at the top and 280mm the front after some modifications. I am bit torn because I wanted to have this case passed down to my wife after I get the 900D but again, it will cost me just as much to buy the kits and waterblocks as it would have to just buy the 900D alone. Almost just as much if not a tiny bit more :eek:

Dont need to modify anything to flip that rear fan around.

Type "Fractal Design R4 watercooling" into Google images and see what others have done, will give you an indication of what you can do to the case once you receive it.

I have a feeling you wont be able to it a 360mm rad internally, even with modifications. Might have to mount externally, similar to this.
IMAG0312.jpg

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Now that's ugly. Ok I cancelled the case and now I am thinking about it. Also went down to a single HD7970GHz. Save money and grab the kit now! And since I am planning on watercooling I think I might as well step down to normal HD 7970 and OC it.

Or alternatively, mount it off the back of the case like I have done.
IMG_20130216_120524_zps4608b88f.jpg

Also its all about making it purdy. I just suspect that isnt the best shot of Moto's rig available :lol:.
Actually, why arent you using the HAF-XM I see in your sig? Same aesthetic as my HAF-X, and I think the external rad complements the industrial look it has.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

I want a window so I can see my hardware. I don't like it much, let's in too much dust. I had to get additional filters ti solve that problem. I also intend to do a scratch build so I might end up using the frame from that and build around it, wood based case.

Status
Not open for further replies.