Sign in with
Your question

Video problems 4 ever?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2010 9:23:46 AM

I have a computer. Yay? It has video problems.
emachines T3406
-Windows XP SP3
-Celeron D 2.93GHZ
-1GB Kingston ValueRam PC3200 CL3 (one slot)
-"Bestec" 300 watt power supply
-I believe it's a 865GV chipset.
-Diamond ati 9250 256MB PCI with inactive Intel Extreme Graphics 3D 2

At first I thought it was the video card, so I switched back to the integrated graphics card. It worked for a while, until the monitor would lock-up, or the picture would become pixelated like when you put an old NES cartridge in and its all messed up looking.

I was using the video card in my other computer (computer #2), and it works fine. I'm fairly confident it's not a lack of power since its a PCI card, and the system (computer #1) has a 300 watt power supply. While I'm not ruling out a power supply problem, I just don't think its something as easy as swapping a power supply to a higher value one.

Now, the integrated video card has started experiencing pixels.

I've tried 2 different monitors. Everything works on computer #2, but when it gets hooked up to computer #1 it fails.

Computer #1 still boots, still POSTs, still functions, and when everythings just right lets you use it normally for a small amount of time.

The computer is fairly old (5 years?), emachines T3406, and has everything stock except a PCI ati 9250, and a Kingston valueram 1gb stick to replace the old 256.

I just had a capactior pop on another computer about the same age as this one. I hope its not bad capactiors because they all appear normal so its a guessing game.

I don't think it's my other things since they work on other computers. I think the problem is the computer itself.

---notes----
I tested the power coming from the powerstrip plugged into the wall. It's 123V. I spoke to an electrician and he told me that is normal.

So

The problem seems to be isolated to graphics! What is causing only the graphics to malfunction?

I think it could be...
-Do graphics get power from a specific rail on the power supply? Maybe it's not getting the right amount of power?
-The capactiors could be dead. How to tell when there aren't obivious signs?
-The power supply could be past it's prime. I heard a "good" new psu has 73% output. Maybe it fails when theres a whopping 19W draw from that speedy PCI card?

Any thoughts anyone?

More about : video problems

March 15, 2010 9:35:00 AM

I think your motherboard / northbridge could be overheating, sometimes I get focused too much on RAM and processor cooling that the northbridge gets neglected and is causing my oc limits.

- For the power thing, although it's possible, it shouldn't be causing pixel problems, that complies with a dying or overheating part.

- For capacitors, if it looks like it's bloated or about to split, then that's a possibility as well.

- As for the PSU, same answer as the first one.
m
l
March 15, 2010 9:53:53 AM

stridervm said:
I think your motherboard / northbridge could be overheating, sometimes I get focused too much on RAM and processor cooling that the northbridge gets neglected and is causing my oc limits.

- For the power thing, although it's possible, it shouldn't be causing pixel problems, that complies with a dying or overheating part.

- For capacitors, if it looks like it's bloated or about to split, then that's a possibility as well.

- As for the PSU, same answer as the first one.

I guess, but there really isn't any place to add a bigger fan or a quick cooling modification.

I'm not overclocking it, I thought about it, but I was fine with it since I wasn't slaving it into computer tasks.

I have other power supplies, but I'm hoping to save those for last after trying every other option.
But it seems it might be it. I remember peeking at the BIOS and it said the voltage was fairly normal, so I don't think it has to do with capicitors.. but who knows.

Maybe it's just the power supply! .....small case... have to uninstall practically everything to remove it >_<
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
March 15, 2010 2:41:28 PM

Your motherboard is probably dying. Those emachines act pretty crazy once the motherboard is at the end of it's life. Due to the overall cheap construction there are numerous points of failure. Replace the motherboard if you still want to keep using it and it will work just fine. If it was me I would sell the CPU on eBay and just use a new motherboard, RAM, PSU and CPU to use as a small work or HTPC machine. It's easy to spray paint the outside of those cases ^_^.
m
l
March 15, 2010 8:51:45 PM

megamanx00 said:
Your motherboard is probably dying. Those emachines act pretty crazy once the motherboard is at the end of it's life. Due to the overall cheap construction there are numerous points of failure. Replace the motherboard if you still want to keep using it and it will work just fine. If it was me I would sell the CPU on eBay and just use a new motherboard, RAM, PSU and CPU to use as a small work or HTPC machine. It's easy to spray paint the outside of those cases ^_^.

It's a socket 478 Celeron D 2.93ghz. I was looking for new motherboards, and not many boards support a 533mhz FSB :p  THe smallest I found was a lga775 ASrock board that had a lga775 socket but support agp/pci-e and ddr and ddr2 o_o
m
l
!