Upgrading - need suggestions

alrik94

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
My birthday is coming up and I have been wanting to upgrade my computer for a while now because I want something better. Yes, I know it may not be needed, but I am a computer enthusiast and I love getting the latest and greatest. I don't know what to upgrade because I don't want something to be bottle-necked once I make the change. My question: What would I need to upgrade to get the greatest overall gaming performance?

Here is my current system:

Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB A2+
Processor: AMD Phenom II x3 710 AM3
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800 MHz
Graphics: HIS ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts 650W
Case: Antec 900
Monitor: 19" Dell 1440x900
CPU Cooler: (Just Upgraded) Scythe Katana 3

Note: I might be willing to change motherboards and RAM altogether for a better "made for AM3" motherboard with 2 PCIe 2.0 slots.

Budget: $300-400

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Agree with batuchka on this one.

Additionally, unless you have a retail copy of Windows (or you're running some version of Linux), you'll need to also buy a new copy of Windows if you upgrade your motherboard. Which might be ok if you're a student and you can get it for $30. If you're not, it drastically changes the cost of getting a new motherboard.

Alternatively, you could get a 128 GB SSD, but that's not going to improve your gaming performance any. Just the general day-to-day responsiveness of the computer.