Sign in with
Your question

Recovering RAID 0 data by placing in external drive cases?

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2012 2:58:35 AM

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR770 that is bricked following a bad BIOS update. I have two 250 gb hitachi travelstar sata hard drives in it that are set up in a raid 0 array using software (intel matrix storage). It came from the factory so configured. I would like to recover a week or so's worth of not backed up data. I've learned here how this can be done by booting ubuntu from livecd. Now, it seems this was done by installing the two drives into the machine which ubuntu will be run on. I will find this difficult due to no dual hd laptop being handy except the bricked one.

Can I instead place each internal hard drive into a separate external hard drive case, plug these both into the laptop I will use using usb cables, and then boot ubuntu from cd and go about the recovery process?

The hard drives should be fine and metadata, etc should be intact. I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I did not find it using search.

Thanks,
Seth
May 6, 2012 3:35:37 AM

I have no idea if it will work, but try it and see. Just don't format the drives.
m
l
May 6, 2012 3:40:44 AM

I placed both hard drives in separate usb enclosures, hooked them both up to a machine running ubuntu from a livecd, and the drives were not recognized. They were not there to the machine. Yet, a flash drive was instantly recognized. So, looks like a no go. I only attached the drives once in ubuntu, so hopefully nothing bad happened.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 6, 2012 9:44:33 AM

do not format your drives if possible. the goal will be to preserve the raid-0 setup data on the drives. so long as that is intact you can place these 2 drives into a system with raid-0 enabled and it will see them as striped drives. if the raid-0 parameter data is deleted then that should be your first step, to recover that information and replace it on both drives. If you are able to hook both drives up under the same brand/model controller they were on before you will be able to make a new raid-0 and it will still be able to see data even after a format. I use VMware for most of my recovery's. once the drives are mounted as direct physical disks in the guest OS then you can run get data back for NTFS or easus data recovery wizard to find all data on your partitions. i prefer get data back for NTFS as it has a very good interface and is quite good at filtering *** files out. that being said it can also give you RAW files if you want to do a bit of real file recovery. XP is the best os to do such recovers on i have found, however the versions of NTFS change from XP to 7 so keep that in mind if you think about formatting. if you are using a linux live CD then you can force mount the drives, build a software raid and use photorec to copy the entire drive. alternitivly you can do a sector to sector onto another drive and recover from that. there are many options you can follow, the very first thing i would start with however is a MHDD on both drives to check for dead sectors or patches of the drives that cant be read. MHDD is able to remap sectors and recover data from said sectors so long as they are not very bad, this would be enough to halt a data recovery program or cause corruption so its a good idea to start with the MHDD program. if it turns out you have lots of unreadable sectors and need better recovery then spinrite is the program to load up. it takes a long time but it will recover your data if possible. i have had drives running for 24 days before on spinrite and its managed to recover nearly everything from dead sectors.
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:25:18 PM

ncc74656,

Thank you for all the information. As of now, I do not have a machine with dual drives, except for the brick. Is there a workaround using external drives?

Seth
m
l
a b G Storage
May 6, 2012 4:45:37 PM

you can mount external drives through esata but if you run them via usb then you will be limited. you need to be able to get pure hardware access while running these recovery programs. another way to do it would be to grab a program such as ghost or mount them individually in linux and build a sector by sector copy to a file. do this for both HD's and then you can mount both drive images and then recover them from a virtual raid array. again i use vmware for this but take your pick. in linux you can mount them from files, as physical HD's and then build a software raid and recover from that. this will require you have a HD that is 3 times the space of each one of your HD's capacity
m
l
July 25, 2012 3:09:02 PM

raisins said:
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR770 that is bricked following a bad BIOS update. I have two 250 gb hitachi travelstar sata hard drives in it that are set up in a raid 0 array using software (intel matrix storage). It came from the factory so configured. I would like to recover a week or so's worth of not backed up data. I've learned here how this can be done by booting ubuntu from livecd. Now, it seems this was done by installing the two drives into the machine which ubuntu will be run on. I will find this difficult due to no dual hd laptop being handy except the bricked one.

Can I instead place each internal hard drive into a separate external hard drive case, plug these both into the laptop I will use using usb cables, and then boot ubuntu from cd and go about the recovery process?

The hard drives should be fine and metadata, etc should be intact. I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I did not find it using search.

Thanks,
Seth

Yes you can. I was just able to recover my data from my bricked Alienware computer running raid0.
I took the drives out installed them on my extra desktop pc via onboard sata connectors and booted up with Ubuntu 12 disk. ubuntu instantly recognized my drives as a raid 0 and i was able to copy my data over to my regular hard drive on the same pc. it was that simple. hopefuly it works for you if you still need the help.

m
l
September 22, 2012 11:55:57 PM

raisins said:
ncc74656,

Thank you for all the information. As of now, I do not have a machine with dual drives, except for the brick. Is there a workaround using external drives?

Seth

If you still have the Sony did you search the internet for, (how to restore bios sony (model number) as i had a Acer that
had corrupt bios and found a youtube video that showed a factory trick on restoring the bios.
Another option is you can now get external raid hard drive docks so this should work to boot from usb and start windows
in safe mode and then you can copy all your data to the compyter it is connected to. I am running raid 0 and have decided
to use a single external drive as backup but instead of just using backup software or copying files i am using Todo backup
and cloning my 2tb system to a 500gb drive as a backup. This drive can be used to boot and had a copy of all data on my
raid system. I will hve to get a bigger drive soon as my system is getting too big for 500gb but it works and is total backup.
m
l
!