Ati x1300 PRO AGP = blankie, blank, blank screen oh noes >_<

I tried to swap a old MX440 AGP 8x (Yes that is the title) with a slightly nwer ati x1300 PRO AGP.

I uninstalled the driver for the old card. I restarted, I installed the new driver, and restarted.

The old MX440 was still in there. So with the new ati driver installed, I shutdown the computer, and installed the x1300 and ..... the monitor went to standby, and the computer completely froze?

The power supply was recommended to be 350 watts of higher, and there is a 350 watt power supply installed.

Someone mentioned a power supply watt rating can be skipped but it needs to have at least 22A on the 12V rail. This one only has 15A maximum, but has 18A on the 5V. Is the power supply to old?

There isn't a BSOD, it just doesn't show a picture.

I figure the PSU is to old but just wondering maybe a BIOS update would help or maybe a someone know a secret or two.
6 answers Last reply
More about x1300 blankie blank blank screen noes _
  1. Don't forget to set your clocks forward.
  2. The x1650 Pro needs 350W and 18A on the 12V rails so I doubt the x1300 needs more. The GPU draws power from the 12V rails, the 5V rails is irrelevant to it.

What happens when you reinstall the MX 440?
  3. FunSurfer said:
    The x1650 Pro needs 350W and 18A on the 12V rails so I doubt the x1300 needs more. The GPU draws power from the 12V rails, the 5V rails is irrelevant to it.

What happens when you reinstall the MX 440?

The MX440 works fine after being reinstalled. I'm thinking the x1300 pro is underpowered, or the BIOS needs to be updated.
  4. Do you have a Dell system? Some of those X1300 X1400 and X 1600 are some what problematic with a few of the older Dell systems.
  5. FunSurfer said:
    Do you have a Dell system? Some of those X1300 X1400 and X 1600 are some what problematic with a few of the older Dell systems.

No, I don't. I tried it on that motherboard, and a newer one with a new PSU. I'm sure the card doesn't work. The fan spins up, but nothing comes out. What has me curious is why

-one system with probably not enough power on the 12V locks up (12A)
    - but one with a newer powerful enough (30A) still continue, but with no graphics

It seems like the card may be broken. But I'm wondering if its just the VGA part. I haven't tested the DVI part, and there's a strange port in the middle that looks liek S-video, but I'm sure I don't have a monitor or adapter for that.
  6. You are right, 12A is not enough for X1300, but it should work on the newer system (if the drivers installation was ok). You still have one more opion to test: put the newer PSU in the older system and see if the card works.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies ATI Graphics