jcv0085

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I know that in most cases that a cpu works or it doesn't. My computer has been crashing and getting bsod's under heavy load. I earlier suspected that my ram was going bad and tested the 2 sticks in memtest in single channel and had several errors within the first minute or two. I tested each stick in A1 and B1 with no errors after 5 passes. Then went back to the "faulty" configuration and no errors and was left scratching my head. Then maybe it could be my PSU, but all voltages were within acceptable range. However, Prime95 freezes my computer after a few seconds of the Small FFT torture test (maximum FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested). This is leading me to believe that my cpu's memory controller is going bad. I'm almost at my wit's end.

That is a strange result with the memory. What CPU are you working with? How old is the computer/MOBO? I think to ensure that it is the memory controller, you should get your hands on another couple sticks of memory and try them first. If it does the same thing, your memory controller is probably shot.

jcv0085

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
It is a relatively new build being built 4-5 months ago:

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B 750W PSU
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
AMD Phenom II X4 965 rev. C2
A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 AX3U1600GB2G9-2G
500GB WD Caviar Blue

I have RMA'd the ram I had and recieved a replacement and have also tried a pair of DDR3 1333 G.SKILL Ripjaws with the same results. Another reason I'm questioning the cpu is because it was dropped and half a row of pins were bent. I straightened them out and it posted and worked fine. Could it be that the motherboard is going bad or is the cpu's IMC is trash? I've heard of a few cases where the L2 cache fried up but was still able to do less cpu-intensive operations which is what my PC is bascially doing. I just want to get to the bottom of this and would love to not have to spend that money on replacement components that are good to begin with.