aLiskov

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hello everyone,

I won't spend much time introducing myself. In a nutshell, I need a computer for general or a little advanced at times usage. I like to game, but nothing too crazy(WoW/Warcraft fan). I'm going to college this fall and taking on a double major - Computer Science + Computer Security. Based of the ample info that I gave you, you have a pretty decent understanding of what my needs are. I want a nice PC. Nothing crappy. I also want to keep that PC for the next 4 years, since I don't plan on moving. I want to be able to upgrade this PC if I eventually have to. I also want this PC to be fast enough, so I can develop applications, multi-task, and edit photos and videos in CS4 without much trouble. I've always wanted to go through the thrill of building a new PC. However, it always seemed as it was too experimental and out of the ordinary person that I am. So I was looking for something in the range of 900 - 1100. I love all the websites that list all the current deals and so I looked at some and found a nice Dell Studio XPS for 1050.

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/211605/studio-xps-8100-desktop-intel-core-i5-650-processor-320ghz-and-20-hd-widescreen-monitor/?preview=true/

I really prefer buying from a well established manufacturer since they give you a warranty and everything + you still get a decent deal. Nevertheless, I wanted to look for some help and see if I could come up with a better solution for my needs. That is in fact the reason I'm here today. So today, I woke up, and I said to myself, "I can do this! I can build my own PC and not screw up." Let me shut myself up before I go on for too long and just use your template and show you what it should look like.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as possible. Dell Deal is over April 8th. BUDGET RANGE: 900-1100

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Developing, Multitasking, Editing Video + Photos, Gaming,

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: No such thing. Currently have a laptop, which will become my parents' gift.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, although I'm not a pro at finding great prices, since the built I made was over $1200.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Looking for I7 860 or 920(very close in performance.)good video card.. not a crappy mobo.. and at least 6gb ddr3 ram(1333). Monitor not included. That I can find on my own.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, if it is easy and not risky. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, if could be afforded in the price range.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Anything that would stand out, 1680:1050 wouldn't be bad, although Full HD fit my needs best.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Nothing too special. I'm not an enthusiast, even though I can spent a lot of money on it. Just so it can cover my needs. Take in consideration that I've never done this before, although I'm sure there's plenty of information/tutorials out there (words or videos), so I should be Ok for the most part.

Thank you all for just viewing my post.
Tremendous appreciation to those who actually contribute.

On the lower end of that budget spectrum we have @ $938 w/o LCD, Kb, Mouse, Speakers ^^
piqc.jpg

just thought i'd share wat looks like a good deal for a Full HD 23 incher hehe

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
At $900 to $100, it's going to be difficult to get an i7 (of any variety) and a good gaming card. Especially if you need keyboard, monitor, OS, etc.

You're a lot more likely to get a build that fits your needs by going with AMD, and conveniently, AMD builds are a little more future-proof, as the AM3 boards with the 890 chipset will support 6-core processors. Only Intel's 1366 boards will do that, and there's no guarantee that they'll stick with that socket for very long.

Batuchka's build is a very good starting point. You could get a bigger processor and/or a newer motherboard if you want to move to the higher end of your price range.

aLiskov

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

For some reason, on pretty much any of the current combos(unless of course you pick the $1250, high-end one), there's a single component that I strongly dislike. Weird, but you can't buy the combo unless you buy all of them...