Programs failing to start and system restore not working

alvaware

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I have a Windows XP. I was on my computer typing and online. I had created a system restore point and downloaded Ashampoo from their website. I did a quick scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes after I updated them. About thirty minutes after that I went to use the Windows XP calculator. When I clicked on it and message popped up saying:

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem".

I thought that was strange because after six years of having this laptop, I have never gotten a message like that. Then I clicked on Search Everything, so I can search where the calculator was if it had randomly moved somewhere. The same message popped up. I clicked various other programs with the same message. Part of the various programs I clicked was Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes that I used nearly half an hour ago.

I then decided to do a system restore. When I clicked on system restore, nothing came up. I waited for at least ten minutes and clicked it again. The second time something came up, but the entire system restore application was blacked out and at the top left corner where it normally as the icon and says System Restore, had a white square with blue trimmings instead of the icon. I tried this a couple of more times and nothing happened.

I have not knowingly done anything for this to happen, can anyone help me fix this? I am a little bit nervous to restart my computer, because I don't want to loose anything else. I currently have Internet access because I was on when it occurred. I fear I might loose the Internet access I have as well as some other things.

Have access to safe mode to try to restore ?

or set the CD drive to 1st in boot sequence (F2), then boot with Windows CD in drive to repair the OS.