HOW TO IMPROVED COMPUTER PERFORMANCE?

hopsing

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Hi all

I have old computer(4yrs old) which is CPU Pentium D 3.0Ghz and 2Gb DDR2 and new one(6mon) with Phenom iix4 2.6 Ghz with 8Gb DDR3
They both run window 7, my question is why the old one run much faster and smoother. Even when I turn on both at same time. The old one always get to window screen first? Is it because the old one run CPU with 3.0Ghz? or some thing else?

Thank you

hopsing

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
The drive speed the same 5400rpm and all both don't have much program or software in it. The only diffirent is CPU and memory ram like I said above.

What about mobo? Do you think if I change mobo it will make computer run diffirent?

Thank you?

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
If the harddrive is dying or partially defected in the new PC, then it'll act horrible.

Why don't you set both of them to boot from CD first, THEN time it with a stop watch. When it asks do you want to boot from the CD, just start the watch and wait until its loaded to the desktop and then stop.

Do this on both..
Give the full system specs of both PC's and their boot time here as a reply.

Also, MyDefrag (free download) can take off some seconds of the boottime also. The program turned a velociraptor brand new windows installation from 27 seconds into 21 seconds, alone.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

More than likely it's the BIOS. Many modern BIOS packs alot of features, especially SATA RAID options, which can take an extra 5 - 10 secs to initialize the RAID controller and their device.

Even though the Phenom II is faster, it's has too many things to check for during POST.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Boot time speed isn't a good benchmark to compare both machines.

Download Winrar from www.rarlabs.com
Tools, benchmark hardware test will show you a better difference...
(It will benchmark how fast the pc can archive a file calculating KB's per second)

Your Phenom should run about 1600 KB per second while the Pentium D might be around 700...

As stated above, newer machines have raid options and other stuff that will delay the windows start.

Also, to speed up boot time I recommend the following.

Start = Run
msconfig
startup tab
remove everything but the antivirus, wireless software...

Also, if the newer one has an HP Label on it... it would explain a great deal as they have garbage such as HP Advisor, HP Health Care, HP computer molestation and so on...

But cleaning them out of the startup with msconfig will help a great deal.
if anything you can start the program manually if needed.

Another recommendation for a quick performing pc is

Strict minimum software. (No need for Nero Picture editor, all kinds of windows toolbars (Ask, yahoo, msn, freewallpaper...)

A FREE ANTIVIRUS such as either Avira antivir or AVG9

Norton Internet Security, or any antivirus that is followed by INTERNET Security will slow down your computer... those are software intended for really old people or 7 year olds... it will stop your programs from working properly as they are considered threats and managing those is usually a pain.

Hope it helps ;)